Half marathon questions!

Options
I wanted to train to do a half marathon in October of this year, I've done training as far as weight training and whatnot and I exercise but what training would I need to do to prepare for this? And will it be enough time by october for me to be ready I've also done 5k's-- need answers thanks guys!

Replies

• trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    There are lots of training schedules you can follow. Here's a good one:

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half_marathon.html
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/index.htm

12 weeks is all it takes!!! I like the hal higdon one, if you want to say you ran it at least!
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    you definitely have time to train. Check out Halhigdon.com. He has a half marathon training program for beginniners. I know lots of people use him to train for all kinds of races.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I think i'm the only person in the world who doesn't have an actual training schedule, I ran the Boston Marathon weeks back, no training, I run a few days a week, that's it, lol... I guess i'm odd :huh: maybe i'll check out more programs for running, cause I would have liked to have run it in under 4 hours...I'm a muscle chick, and I run just for the heck of it, and I was surprised at how easily I picked it up, thought it would be difficult, now if only I could get my toenails to grow back in!! dang black toe.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Racing at all before a 1/2 marathon is not required. However, it is normally recommended that you can run at least 30 minutes without stopping before starting a 1/2 marathon training program.

There are some tips for training on www.marathonrookie.com that are really good about nutrition and hydration and other tricks.

Like others have said, there are a ton of programs out there. Pick one that fits your lifestyle. You don't really have to run any more than 3 days a week to train and it is normally recommended to run no more than 5 days a week to give your body time to heal. I am currently using runner's world smartcoach at runnersworld.com. It customizes a program for you based on the input information.

Use your training runs to learn what is good to eat and drink during, before and after your long runs. Remember that what you eat after a run is really going to change your recovery.

Good Luck and have fun.
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Training for a run of any length consists of lots of running, simple really. Build your miles up in your runs and try and be able to run close to 10 miles before the race. You can do other forms of training, using weights etc. for example, but getting out there and putting a lot of miles into your training should be the bulk of it.
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    I think i'm the only person in the world who doesn't have an actual training schedule, I ran the Boston Marathon weeks back, no training, I run a few days a week, that's it, lol... I guess i'm odd :huh: maybe i'll check out more programs for running, cause I would have liked to have run it in under 4 hours...I'm a muscle chick, and I run just for the heck of it, and I was surprised at how easily I picked it up, thought it would be difficult, now if only I could get my toenails to grow back in!! dang black toe.

:grumble: I wish I had the issue of just naturally being good at running. Haha. It is brutal for me!

Anyways, this is a program from outside magazine about running a full marathon. You could probably shorten the runs out to tailor it to a half marathon. I am on week 8 right now. I bike for cross training, and also do some pilates. Need to do more core work too!

http://outside.away.com/outside/bodywork/201003/how-to-train-for-a-marathon-nyc-marathon-training-plan.html