Calories

Options
I’m 5’4 , 127.5 and eat 1.7 calories to gain muscle weight while lifting throughout the week. Am I eating too much or too little ?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    kdnfkndf wrote: »
    I’m 5’4 , 127.5 and eat 1.7 calories to gain muscle weight while lifting throughout the week. Am I eating too much or too little ?

Are you gaining any weight do far? If you meant 1700 calories, that will probably not be enough.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing it, and what has your change been in scale weight?
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Let me look into my crystal ball quick and I’ll get back to you...
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Nobody can tell you that. You figure out your calorie needs through trial and error. Eat a certain amount, give it a few weeks, and adjust accordingly.

If I had to guess though, I’d say probably not. My stats are almost exactly the same, I lift 4-5 times a week and I’m currently eating 2300 to gain.
  • jwdman
    jwdman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    New to app. To start off I’m overweight so I’m cutting calories but want to build a strong base and build how do I balance my calories to loss weight and feed my muscles?
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    jwdman wrote: »
    New to app. To start off I’m overweight so I’m cutting calories but want to build a strong base and build how do I balance my calories to loss weight and feed my muscles?

Losing fat and building muscle require two different things. One, a calorie deficit and two, a calorie surplus. Physiologically, they cannot occur at the same time. However, you can maintain muscle while losing fat by following a proper resistance training program and getting adequate protein in your diet. Your best bet would be to lose the fat and when you’re happy with your fat loss you can recomp/eat at a small surplus to grow muscle. I very, very strongly urge you to work to maintain muscle as best you can while losing. It’s a lot easier than building it back up... I learned my lesson the hard way there.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Avoid an aggressive rate of weight loss, get enough protein, and do some kind of strength training as you lose. Good luck!
  • psuLemon
    Options

Losing fat and building muscle require two different things. One, a calorie deficit and two, a calorie surplus. Physiologically, they cannot occur at the same time. However, you can maintain muscle while losing fat by following a proper resistance training program and getting adequate protein in your diet. Your best bet would be to lose the fat and when you’re happy with your fat loss you can recomp/eat at a small surplus to grow muscle. I very, very strongly urge you to work to maintain muscle as best you can while losing. It’s a lot easier than building it back up... I learned my lesson the hard way there.

I don't agree. There is definitely evidence to support building muscle with losing fat, even in a deficit. Now it has limitations amd is dependent on many factors; training age, age, sex, programming and nutrition.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

I don't agree. There is definitely evidence to support building muscle with losing fat, even in a deficit. Now it has limitations amd is dependent on many factors; training age, age, sex, programming and nutrition.

It's also very dependent on how overweight someone is, a lot of fat makes muscle gain while losing weight much more likely.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

It's also very dependent on how overweight someone is, a lot of fat makes muscle gain while losing weight much more likely.

Absolutely... And for those who question it, i'd recommend you look at the below thread.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10611633/gaining-muscle-in-a-deficit/p1