Migraines & Running

Options
Is anyone actually able to run during a migraine episode? If so, I’d love to hear how you do it.

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I have various aura symptoms that would make running difficult and slightly dangerous when they hit. I typically have mild to no headache—it’s the aura that is the bigger problem for me—but I would still not want to run then.
  • goodlife4ever
    goodlife4ever Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I occasionally get ocular migraines and I agree running would certainly not be safe during one of those. I do sympathize with you. I’m thinking it’ll be a few more years until preventative medicine catches up.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I occasionally get ocular migraines and I agree running would certainly not be safe during one of those. I do sympathize with you. I’m thinking it’ll be a few more years until preventative medicine catches up.

Yes, there are certain kinds of migraines that just do not currently have good medical treatments. I have hemiplegic migraines, which mimic a stroke, and many common preventive or abortive migraine medications aren't safe for that condition. Fortunately my primary trigger was easy to identify and address--switching from the birth control pill to an IUD almost entirely stopped my migraines, and now I get them maybe once a year or less. I hope you and your doctor can figure out what is triggering yours.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Yep, I have two different types of severe migraine (aura no pain and classic) and have run with both of them. Different problems with both - the aura one I struggle to see where I’m going, the classic one I wanna throw up.

Not running wasn’t really an option because they’re chronic - I had the classic one every single day for about 6 years. The aura one I get a few times a month.

Is it physically possible to run with a migraine (or at least my migraines)? Absolutely. Do you want to? That’s a question for you.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I’m with all of you. I was just reaching for any hope. I’m usually out of commission for four days with pain and nausea.

I'm sorry for that. Mine don't last as long and I can't even imagine dealing with the pain for days.
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    For me running or a walk outside *might* help a regular minor headache - take some excedrin and eat some crackers, drink some coffee and go. It seems to make the meds cycle faster and clear my head.

But a true migraine also makes me weak and nauseated. Best to take meds and hibernate until it is gone. I also have to be careful to take the meds quickly, because if I wait too long then I am too nauseated to take them and may end up at the doc in the box for a shot. Luckily I usually know what triggers them, and can avoid (smoke, diesel fumes, whiteboard marker fumes, crying).

Sorry to hear you are suffering. :(

Uuugh. I had forgotten about the crying. That's a major trigger for me too.

I'm so sorry for everyone here who deals with this crap!
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    Options
    I’m in awe (and slightly envious) of those for whom over the counter medications help. Mine were never affected by paracetamol, aspirin, ibuprofen, migraleve, excedrin - any of that stuff.

Most “normal” medications didn’t work either. Ended up under a neuro consult for several years with nothing working. He wanted my to quit my job, stop using all electronic equipment (phone, tv, monitors, laptop etc.).

Next (and last) options on the list were a drug that would require a liver transplant every few years and/or cutting through nerves in my brain.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I’m in awe (and slightly envious) of those for whom over the counter medications help. Mine were never affected by paracetamol, aspirin, ibuprofen, migraleve, excedrin - any of that stuff.

Most “normal” medications didn’t work either. Ended up under a neuro consult for several years with nothing working. He wanted my to quit my job, stop using all electronic equipment (phone, tv, monitors, laptop etc.).

Next (and last) options on the list were a drug that would require a liver transplant every few years and/or cutting through nerves in my brain.

What migraine drug requires a liver transplant every few years?
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    Options

What migraine drug requires a liver transplant every few years?

Well, any of the tripan family can do it if you take them often enough for long enough. It’s one of the known side effects. The side effect leaflets mention it (at least mine do) and a (funny?!) potential side effect is your blood going green...

This medication was red listed and could only be taken for very short periods. It had to be administered in hospital by the neuro, I could only be on it 4-6 months and after several courses I’d need a liver transplant. Assuming I’d take it for the rest of my life, that’s half the time taking the medication and half the time off the medication with completely uncontrolled migraines. Unable to work, leave the house, use electronics etc. Plus severe liver damage from the period of time I was taking the medications until a projected transplant window of every 5 years or so.

Or cut the nerves in the brain.

Great choice.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    My migraines make me throw up... if it’s not super bad I’ll take an excedrin and if it’s better go once the meds kick in. Sometimes running gives me the migraines I think though, probably dehydrated and over heating.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    If I have a migraine moving my head often makes me throw up. I can't imagine what running would do.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,800 Member
    Options
    what I have found with headaches is of course #1 to know your triggers and try to avoid if possible. #2 is to catch them EARLY before they turn into a migraine. That's where the OTC Excedrin Migraine comes into play. #3 is to accept that OTC is not going to work BEFORE the nausea kicks in and take your meds. I have Tylonal Codeine

I actually have taking the meds because they upset my stomach more than they used to and because the Rx ones tend to constipate me. But nothing worse than the dry heaves and a migraine at the same time.

Grump, it sounds like you were able to overcome having migraines. Did they just go away or did you have some sort of nerve surgery? Your choices sound awful. :( As far as running with a migraine. I think the definition of migraine kinda of means you can't do anything but crawl into bed in a dark quiet room with meds and pray you can get to sleep and wake up without it.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    edited December 2018
    Options
    @SummerSkier One word - Flunarazine. I went on it as a desperate last ditch effort before the surgery (and because Mertysergide was withdrawn).

Took a few months but worked amazingly. Migraines stopped completely. And zero side effects.

It cannot be manufactured in the Uk and is red listed so my neuro had to import it from Germany and I had to pick it up from my hospital. But it was a miracle drug so I didn’t mind.

Then the manufacturer stopped producing it. I suddenly had to go cold turkey. And the migraines didn’t come back (ok so maybe one a month or so). I can live with that.

Flunarazine for the win. I can watch tv, I go to the cinema every week, I can surf the web. It’s awesome.