Apples

Ahmee2034
Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
Okay, y'all. You were so helpful with the chick peas that I am hoping you can help me with my "apple dilemma" .

I love gala apples. I like to slice them and fridge them for work. Any suggestions on how to keep them from turning brown? I don't like the idea of lemon juice...yuck! Lay it on me!

Replies

• LittleMissAngi
    LittleMissAngi Posts: 243 Member
    cut it up, but then put it back together and put a rubber band around it. Keeps it from turning brown.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Can you take them whole to work and slice them there? Thats what I do.
  • squeezing lemon/lime juice onto them always seems to work for me!
  • Ahmee2034
    cut it up, but then put it back together and put a rubber band around it. Keeps it from turning brown.

REALLY?! Doesn't the apple smell/taste like the rubber band?:huh:
  • Ahmee2034
    Can you take them whole to work and slice them there? Thats what I do.

That's what I usually do but I work in the administrative office of an elementary school. It gets quite busy and I'd like to have them done, quick and ready to grab.
  • Joscelle
    Joscelle Posts: 93
    Maybe instead of using a rubber band, try wrapping it back up in plastic wrap?
  • Shawna_831
    Shawna_831 Posts: 316
    Use saran wrap first then the rubber band
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    all that plastic goes right into the landfill, you know...

try wrapping in a cloth, then rubber banding?
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    I read somewhere that cutting an apple underwater and keeping it in water will prevent it from turning brown. So I guess you could put it in a container of water?

I have never tried this so I have no idea if it actually works.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member

REALLY?! Doesn't the apple smell/taste like the rubber band?:huh:
    taste like a rubber band, nah I don't think so, it's only in your bag until lunch right? I guess you can slice it and go brown or rubber band it in the cool way she shared and have it nice and fresh:drinker: :wink: I just can't imagine an apple absorbing a rubber band wrapped around the skin, I really don't think that should be a worry, I think you'll be just fine and have fresh tasting apple. If you try it once and it tastes like rubber, well, guess you're back to cutting it at work or taking bites out of it.:laugh:

Good luck:wink::flowerforyou:
  • rinren84
    rinren84 Posts: 82 Member
    I use a squeeze of fresh orange juice, and you can't even taste it. Alot less sour than lemon and it does the same thing.
  • treasurep
    treasurep Posts: 88 Member
    I use a product called fruit fresh. You can sprinkle it on the fruit or make a fruit/water mixture. works on all kinds of fruit. I'll have to look up the nutritional value, I haven't used it since starting on MFP but a little dash goes a long way. with apples I use the water/mixture cause the apples get a good coating that way.
  • JenUB
    JenUB Posts: 84
    Slice the apple, put pieces in any kind of zip lock baggie, and seal. Then open one corner, insert a straw and suck the extra air out, and reseal. Or if you aren't cheap like me, buy one of those contraptions that suck the air out for you. I once kept a bunch of sliced apples in the fridge for a few days like this before baking.

Edit: AND THE BAGGIE CAN BE REUSED!!!!!!!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Wow that sounds like a lot of work...I would probably just bring a knife with you to stash at work and cut it in the kitchen.

Just don't take it out around the boss...he he
  • browneyesbb89
    browneyesbb89 Posts: 141 Member
    I eat a gala apple every day for breakfast. They are yummy and convenient. I slice mine the night before and put it in a sandwich size zip loc bag. It turn the slightest brown but not bad. You could try that. High five on galas!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    I SO can't wait until the fall when HONEY CRISP apples come into season...drool...I think I could live on a diet based soley on honey crisp apples.
  • pickledlilly
    pickledlilly Posts: 98 Member
    I just bite into mine.........is that not acceptable in America?
  • hutchgrape
    hutchgrape Posts: 6 Member
    Slice the apple, put pieces in any kind of zip lock baggie, and seal. Then open one corner, insert a straw and suck the extra air out, and reseal.

This works! I do it for avocados too.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    I just bite into my apples, too, but I don't work in an office setting (and don't have the phone/computer/customer service issue.)
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Yup, I bite into mine also. Slices are great for dipping into melted peanut butter but nothing like the crunch of a whole apple to please your soul.
This discussion has been closed.