Keeping yourself in check

Options
Do you have anything you tell yourself to keep yourself in check/on a realistic level?

For instance, anytime I think I'm dumb, I remind myself there are people who think the earth is flat.
Anytime I think I am smart, I remind myself that I have set myself on fire.
Any time I think I am strong or big or whatever, I remind myself that my absolute best deadlift is still not even half of Eddie Halls world record - and that my clean and press isnt half of what Zydrunas Savickas can log press.

Replies

• kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    I go to the nearest Buddhist temple, grab a pillow to sit on, and practice my OM sounds until the night janitor jabs my ribs with the broom handle.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I treat others the way I wish to be treated.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Nope. I think I'm pretty worthless most of the time... so a big head isn't really something I need to keep in check.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    My thing is gratitude and thankfulness. There are so many people out there who struggle with terrible things, whether self-inflicted or not and I have the privilege to be independent, support myself, enjoy my career, spend free time exercising or whatever and not worry about where my next meal will come from.

I never take that for granted. Paying back or paying it forward is how I try to show my appreciation.
  • Chael2dot0
    Chael2dot0 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Do you have anything you tell yourself to keep yourself in check/on a realistic level?

Nope. I let the brilliance and charisma flow freely...

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    denny_mac wrote: »
    I heard one time that before you say something you should ask yourself these three questions:
    1. Is it true?
    2. Is it kind?
    3. Is it necessary?
    and only say it if you can answer yes to all three.
    I can't say that I've always followed this advice, but I like it and since I heard it I do try to use it in my personal life.

This is interesting. I’ve heard it before but I’m enjoying considering it again.

I’ve been trying to practice telling the truth all the time, even when it’s embarrassing or painful for me. However, i find that difficult to navigate when I don’t feel it’s kind or necessary to share the truth. For example if telling the truth will be terribly hurtful or insulting to someone, I’m unlikely to say it. And since i find it necessary to protect people’s confidences, then even if I’m asked something point blank, I’ll rule in favor of keeping that confidence over telling the truth 9 times out of 10.

So i like the thought that it should meet all three criteria to be said.

I just don’t know what to say when it doesn’t meet all three and I’m being pressed in a conversation.