How to maintain weight on graduation week?

Options
Monarcay
Monarcay Posts: 1 Member
edited December 2018 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
So these last few months I've gone done from a 57 to a 52,7. I'm super proud!
Ths thing is, I just finished med school, and this week I have:
My national medical test on wednesday, where friends want to go celebrating and drinking afterwards.
The day AFTER is my graduation ceremony and my dad wants to take me out to eat.
A few days later is the Gala, where there will be excess of booze of food.

Those are a lot of cheats days, and I don't really want to drink water on my gala or celebration with friends....any tips so I don't gain weight of am I screwed?

Replies

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,787 Member
    Options
    My vote is just enjoy yourself in moderation and get back on track next week. Congratulations on completing med school! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    enjoy in moderation - instead of having multiple drinks - have only 1 or 2 and sip slowly to savor/enjoy
  • StephNicole2018
    StephNicole2018 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I just graduated as a NP last weekend. I had three days in a row that were “cheat” celebrating days. I ate light, like veggies, hummus and fruit type meals for other meals on the days other than the gatherings. I did have some alcoholic beverages but moderate intake. I had apps and desserts too but but shared a lot of them. I just tried to not go crazy mainly. It’s a simple plan but it worked for me. I didn’t gain. Make sure you enjoy it!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    This is literally a once in your lifetime thing. Certainly, work on achieving sensible moderation, but celebration seems important, too, under the circumstances. Balance! Clearly, you know how to lose weight; you'll probably gain none or at most only a tiny bit, and you have the skills to deal if you do.

Oh, and many hearty congratulations on the results of your years of hard work: Well done!
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I figured out a few years ago that you don't have to eat all the food and drink all the drinks. Eat reasonable amounts of food you like, have a couple of drinks, and you won't do that much damage.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your week without weighing yourself. After Christmas begin to weigh again and if you have gained more than your accepted fluctuations then eat at a deficit for a few weeks until you get back to where you want to be. You worked hard to achieve and deserve to celebrate that hard work and success. Congratulations!
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Congratulations!

If you don't want to skimp on booze:
    - Drink spirits and zero calorie mixers
    - If you're doing shots, stick to the heavy ones (Tequila, Sambuca, Vodka for example) and avoid flavoured version or liqueurs as they tend to be packed with sugar to make them more palatable
    - Avoid the cocktails, but if pushed go for something like a majito that doesn't have fruit juices or grenadine (and again, chose ones that don't have liqueurs as bases)
    - If you're thirsty, drink water. If you want an alcoholic drink, drink an alcoholic drink. Downing a glass of water is completely acceptable on a night out, especially if you are just thirsty. (And will help with the hangover the next day)
    - Dance dance dance! If you're out partying, dance like nobody is watching! You'll burn a surprising amount of calories doing so.
    - Avoid snacking after the night out, booze snacking is never a good idea

Don't worry about it too much. It's actually only three days and it's a once in a lifetime celebration. Aim to eat at maintenance for food and don't worry too much if you go over, especially if most of that is booze (personally I'd not count booze to your calorie target just for those few days, but that's me)

And avoid the scale for about a week, maybe two afterwards. If you indulge, especially with alcohol, then your weight will fluctuate all over the place more than usual.

Also: insert comment here about enjoying alcohol responsibly :wink: