Had a gain and confused

Options
I’ve lost a total of 54lbs - 26lbs since August the rest was on and off but kept 28lbs off when I stared in August

I still have 54 lbs to lose I’m female 49 and I walk 8 miles a day as I’m trying to build my fitness level up to join an exercise class I know I need to do weights as well.

Each week I lose 1-2 lbs which is good I eat quiet clean rarely drink alcohol and this week I had a meal out on Wednesday and all tracked and in budget and I gained 2.5 lbs :(
I didn’t eat much but it’s really disheartened me even though I know scales aren’t a liner and tape measure is my friend

Any ideas how to flush out this retained water as I know it’s not fat I didn’t eat much or maybe it’s my age perimenopause ?

Replies

• chloerebecca0809
    Options
    Always happens to me when ever I eat off plan. I’ve heard drinking water gets rid of water weight
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Thankyou It’s a mindset killer for me I appreciate your nice reply 🌟
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options

It’s just from the extra sodium. Stay hydrated and it will go away on its own.

Aww Thankyou will be glad when it does x
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    weight is crazy, you can gain from a meal or not lose for few weeks and then all of a sudden lose a bunch, just have to stick to it.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    Any ideas how to flush out this retained water as I know it’s not fat I didn’t eat much or maybe it’s my age perimenopause ?

You've done a great job so far of losing fat. What has happened here is a slight gain of weight, not fat. This "weight" is fluid. Your body retains, or releases fluid by design and virtually always for specific reasons.

Trying to game the system by "flushing it out" is more likely to hurt more than help. If your body needs it, it will retain it. When it doesn't, it won't. Let your body do what it's supposed to do and just recognize it.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, weight fluctuates All. The. Time.

Today, for example, I did something I never do - and that is weigh myself twice out of curiosity.

I woke up, used the bathroom, and weighed myself like always. My hubby had brought me a cup of tea, so I got a bowl of cereal and went back to bed to eat that and drink my tea. About an hour after the first weighing I got up, used the bathroom again and thought, "What the heck, let's just see how much tea and cereal weighs!"

Apparently it weighs one and a half pounds.

It was one cup of tea and one portion of cereal with milk - 30g of food and about 350ml of liquid. There is no way I ingested 1.5lbs of anything in that hour, but there you go!

This is why you have to learn to be okay with fluctuations in weight. Mine can shoot up 1-2lbs overnight just because I had a higher-sodium meal the day before. Women who are still having monthly cycles can see gains of 5-10lbs due to their hormones. If you're in perimenopause, your hormones are all over the place and may be messing with the scale in unpredictable ways. (And if you're not an everyday-weigher, you might notice even bigger fluctuations if you're not aware of how your daily choices affect you.)

Try not to worry. Keep doing what you've been doing, stay within your calorie goal (or at least under maintenance) most of the time, and you'll be fine!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    beacon8 wrote: »
    I use happy scale too. It smooths out fluctuations really well.

If you don't do Apple stuff (Happy Scale is strictly Apple), then Libra is the android equivalent and for a web site there is trendweight.com. Just need to create a fitbit account.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    beacon8 wrote: »
    I use happy scale too. It smooths out fluctuations really well.

If you don't do Apple stuff (Happy Scale is strictly Apple), then Libra is the android equivalent and for a web site there is trendweight.com. Just need to create a fitbit account.

Before I got a smart phone I used Excel.

86dda0ehk3ma.png

@size102b I'm frankly shocked this is your first gain since August. I have temporary water weight gains twice per month - at ovulation at premenstrually. Now that you have only 54 pounds to lose you may see fluctuations more often. Do keep in mind that it is the overall downward trend that is important.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    try weighing yourself several times during the day...you will be shocked at how much the scale can add or subtract within a matter of hours. Your one day "off track" is only human but unless you ate like a starving Lion it is unlikely that you gained 2.5 lbs overnight. The only explanation to that is water retention, likely due to the sodium content of the food on your night out.

Just remember to weigh yourself once a week rather than once a day because the scale is a guesstimate. Also note that you should weigh yourself at the same time every week, usually before breakfast.

I think we have all gone through this...when I started my weight loss journey I lost almost 10 lbs in 7 days (at roughly 900-1000 calories per day) and then freaked out when the following week I gained a pound of it back even though my diet and exercise remained the same from the previous week. it was water loss and retention...yup even men go through it....
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Dilvish wrote: »
    try weighing yourself several times during the day...you will be shocked at how much the scale can add or subtract within a matter of hours.

Absolutely.

I'll weight myself when I get home from work and can easily be 1lb-3lb lighter than I was when I weighed myself in the morning. Then I'll weight myself before going to bed and I'll easily be 3lb-4lb heavier than I was when I got home from work just a few hours earlier. Then, of course, those lb's will disappear overnight.

Weight is crazy =)