I don’t always add people, but when I do...

Options
I’ve been on this site for a few days and love the energy I see here! I am active, supportive and love to see you guys win!
I’d love to have more active friends to share the journey with. I feel weird about adding people, so I typically don’t. I accept everyone who adds me because I feel like they want to be a friend at that point I guess. This sounds like strange logic when I say it out loud?

What are your thoughts? Do you add friends, or wait until they add you?

Replies

• TheMiniKeto
    TheMiniKeto Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just go ahead and add people! Sometimes if you wait on other people....things never get done. Or that's my take anyway. Good luck on your journey!
  • doubleIronDog
    doubleIronDog Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    That makes sense!
    I just go ahead and add people! Sometimes if you wait on other people....things never get done. Or that's my take anyway. Good luck on your journey!

• coderdan82
    coderdan82 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I had another MFP account a few years ago where I added a whole bunch of people from the intro forum. It resulted in a daily routine of clicking"like" about 20 times and getting about 20 likes on every one of my updates. It did nothing for my motivation. I now only add people if I feel we have something in common (other than trying to lose weight) or if someone wants to add me.
  • doubleIronDog
    Options
    Oh good advice! Thank you!
    Just a little tip. When adding people do send a message. It is always nice to know why someone wants to be friends. :)

• allison8668
    allison8668 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I've found that it's easier to just add people rather than waiting.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I'll add people if they amuse me or there's been some kinda connection in the forums or on mutual friends walls.

Otherwise I let them add me. :)
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I only add people with shared interests like running or regulars from the forum.

Sometimes add people from the UK also
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I only add people that actually converse with me instead of just "likes" all the time (I clean out my friends list often) so I end up with a very small group. I'm down to 4 now and 2 are nonactive family :D

Otherwise I end up with a feed full of people I can't really "support" nor do I receive "support" if that makes sense.

Edit: I actidently deleted some really good posters/friends when I logged back on after missing for 6 months and that's a real bummer!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I only add people that actually converse with me instead of just "likes" all the time (I clean out my friends list often) so I end up with a very small group. I'm down to 4 now and 2 are nonactive family :D

Otherwise I end up with a feed full of people I can't really "support" nor do I receive "support" if that makes sense.

This for me 100%. No point in friend collecting and one sided support.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    coderdan82 wrote: »
    I had another MFP account a few years ago where I added a whole bunch of people from the intro forum. It resulted in a daily routine of clicking"like" about 20 times and getting about 20 likes on every one of my updates. It did nothing for my motivation. I now only add people if I feel we have something in common (other than trying to lose weight) or if someone wants to add me.

Back in my day, MFP didn't have a like button! *shakes fist
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I'm a crappy friend here. Sometimes I check my home page, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I like stuff, sometimes I don't. I rarely comment. I don't do inane drama, so if you're completely devastated because you are 5 cals over your target, and every single day is a catastrophe, you will probably be deleted. I like a small list, rarely send a friend request, rarely accept them, regularly delete. I will PM with people who I know are going through a tough time (I don't consider this drama).
  • doubleIronDog
    Options
    I’m conflicted now haha... to add or not!!?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I think it depends on what you are hoping to get from adding people. If you think they are going to hold you accountable to your goals, that might work short term, but participation ebbs and flows, so it's probably not a long term solution. The people who are on my friends list are mostly those I have known here for a while and they are an amazing bunch. I am fairly confident that I could reach out to any of them when having difficult times and receive support, and I would happily reciprocate.

Maybe add a few people, and see if it suits your needs. It helps if they are people with similar attitudes, interests, and sense of humor.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options

If you like someone who takes the time to scroll back and comment on your success, updates or needs feedback feel free to add me. I usually only like a food diary closure unless one asked for help with their diary otherwise I’m super supportive.

But

I post food pics, dog pics, hiking trail pics and progress pics. These may not be what you want in your friend feed:). And I like feedback too and if we end up not really conversing I end up cleaning out my friend list with no hard feelings. We just all need want different things.
  • doubleIronDog
    Options
    I agree with this philosophy. So far the people that have sent requests seem awesome!
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I think it depends on what you are hoping to get from adding people. If you think they are going to hold you accountable to your goals, that might work short term, but participation ebbs and flows, so it's probably not a long term solution. The people who are on my friends list are mostly those I have known here for a while and they are an amazing bunch. I am fairly confident that I could reach out to any of them when having difficult times and receive support, and I would happily reciprocate.

Maybe add a few people, and see if it suits your needs. It helps if they are people with similar attitudes, interests, and sense of humor.

• doubleIronDog
    Options
    Haha hays cool, I like all of things as well. The more community the better.

If you like someone who takes the time to scroll back and comment on your success, updates or needs feedback feel free to add me. I usually only like a food diary closure unless one asked for help with their diary otherwise I’m super supportive.

But

I post food pics, dog pics, hiking trail pics and progress pics. These may not be what you want in your friend feed:). And I like feedback too and if we end up not really conversing I end up cleaning out my friend list with no hard feelings. We just all need want different things.