High fibre but low calorie meals?

Options
MeganReid1991
MeganReid1991 Posts: 170 Member
I’m having a hard time getting enough fibre in my diet. I eat quite alot of vegetables but still struggling.

Replies

• arrowprayer
    arrowprayer Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I use fibre powders.
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Carrots, fibre one bars, raspberries.
  • MeganReid1991
    Options
    I’ve been eating a lot of black beans! But I find there kinda high in calories for the amount I need to make a major impact on my fibre impact.

I recently just bought fibre one bars and have one a day as a afternoon snack!

I also just bought raspberry’s and strawberries!

Going to buy some fibre powder next week if I can’t get it up from food sources myself
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    oats, beans, lentils, eat potatoes with skins on, etc.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Benefiber Healthy Shape Fiber Supplement - no taste, doesn't thicken liquids very much. I stir it into my cereal milk before adding the cereal. 5g soluble fiber per one rounded tablespoon. You can probably buy on Amazon if your local store doesn't stock it.

https://www.benefiber.com/fiber-supplement-products/benefiber-healthy-shape/

I also make shopping choices based on fiber content as well as calories per serving. I have no problem getting 30+ grams per day in this way.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Psyllium Fiber Sugar Free - Kirkland

The dieting throws my regularity out the window. This stuff from Costco helps.
    Drinking a LOT of water helps too. The more water, the better the fiber powder works too.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    hroderick wrote: »
    Psyllium Fiber Sugar Free - Kirkland

The dieting throws my regularity out the window. This stuff from Costco helps.
    Drinking a LOT of water helps too. The more water, the better the fiber powder works too.

Those on coumadin (warfarin) need to be careful with psyllium - it may interfere with your vitamin K levels. That's why I use Benefiber Healthy Shape instead - it's made with wheat dextrin.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    You can get flavorless metamucil (or walmart's knock-off) and add it to just about anything. I've put it in water, tea, coffee, soup, and smoothies.

Otherwise, try eating more beans, green veggies and berries. Perhaps eat oatmeal for breakfast. Fiber one bars are great as snacks. I like the cheesecake ones the most.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Other things to add to smoothies to bump up your fiber include flax seeds and chia seeds.
  • jaxsmama123
    jaxsmama123 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    try a fiber supplement, I buy fiber gummies from my local pharmacy. two a day and I get 8 grams of fiber :)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    What is your fiber goal? And what are you currently hitting?
  • MeganReid1991
    Options
    My goal is 25g, I was getting only 10-15g but now that I’m trying harder I’m getting closer to 18-20g.
    TMI but I was having a really hard time with number 2 sense starting to lose weight and I think it was cause I was trying to be fairly low carb.
  • brisadeldesierto
    brisadeldesierto Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Wheat bran has ~220 kcal and ~43 g of fibers per 100 g and it's a great source of insoluble fibers, which is the kind of fiber that helps constipation. You can add it to yogurts, soups, oatmeal, homemade granolas, etc.

Linseeds and chia seeds are also high in fiber (~27% and 35%, respectively), and although higher in calories, they can be easily added to any kind of preparations.

And in case you don't know this already, remember to drink enough water since fiber needs water in order to work properly.
  • deblcar
    deblcar Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have found that adding 1/4 cup of garbanzo beans to my morning smoothy and 1/4 cup to either lunch or dinner on my salad or soup really helps with getting enough fiber. Also raspberries have 8 grams of fiber per cup. Great to add to smoothies or as an evening snack...
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Shredded mini-wheats for cereal is one of my go-tos; also barley/Farro (grains) - I normally hit 25-35g fiber per day); Damon Triple oikos Greek yogurt has 6g fiber per cup
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I’ve been eating a lot of black beans! But I find there kinda high in calories for the amount I need to make a major impact on my fibre impact.

Going to buy some fibre powder next week if I can’t get it up from food sources myself

What is your calorie goal? You can get 16 grams of fiber per 230 calories of beans. Even on a low calorie diets that's still not a big portion of your daily calorie goal.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »

What is your calorie goal? You can get 16 grams of fiber per 230 calories of beans. Even on a low calorie diets that's still not a big portion of your daily calorie goal.

Especially considering it will also contribute about 16 g of protein toward your protein goal at the same time.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Beans, beans, beans, beans, and beans.

This.

Also whole grains, some berries, avocado.
  • jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I’m having a hard time getting enough fibre in my diet. I eat quite alot of vegetables but still struggling.

Eat a Quest Bar every day, that has 14g fiber usually.