Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How long should you work out

Options
arrowprayer
arrowprayer Posts: 77 Member
I can't Remeber ask the terms they used but there was this one Article that said only after a certain amount of time do you start burning off a certain line of fat.. I think it started with a v...

Did anyone know what I'm taking about.. And how do you get in that fat burning zone.. And after how long of working out

Replies

• RealWorldStrengthLLC
    Options
    Until you're done with your training
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    The idea of "you need to exercise x amount of minutes" before it being effective is outdated now. HHS (US Department of Health and Human Services) used to recommend at least 10 consecutive minutes, but they've updated their guidelines to say that basically any exercise for any amount of time is beneficial. They still recommend a minimum of 150-300 minutes of moderate exercise per week.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I can't Remeber ask the terms they used but there was this one Article that said only after a certain amount of time do you start burning off a certain line of fat.. I think it started with a v...

That's utter nonsense, burning fat during exercise is totally normal and doesn't have to be nurtured.

When you do a ramp test while hooked up to a gas analyser to reveal the fuel substrates used at very low intensity you are burning a majority of fat (intra-muscular and circulating triglycerides, not subcutaneous fat, not dietary fat). It's immediate and doesn't need any time to get started. It's only when you get to a moderate pace (it was 130bpm roughly for me) that carbs and fat are about 50/50 in terms of fuel use.
    It's not carbs first and then fat second, it's a blend of both fuels.

And for weight loss it just doesn't matter what fuels you are using during exercise at all - that's down to your calorie balance over a period of time.

Your workout duration depends on your fitness goals.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Are you asking about visceral fat?
    A calorie deficit will take care of that, and subcutaneous fat.

Cheers, h.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    BDonjon wrote: »
    "Begin at the beginning, and go on till you come to the end: then stop."

One of my favorite books since childhood!*

"We're all mad here." is often applicable as well :D
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    There really isn't a "should"...it's completely dependent on your fitness goals. For example, I spend far more time on my bike when I'm training for half century rides and whatnot than I do when I'm just riding for my fitness.

You burn body fat when you're in a calorie deficit...you can do that with or without exercise, though I wouldn't recommend the latter as a general matter of healthy and wellness.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    BDonjon wrote: »
    "Begin at the beginning, and go on till you come to the end: then stop."

One of my favorite books since childhood!*

"We're all mad here." is often applicable as well :D

I would argue that it's always applicable :tongue:
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Until you're done with your training

This.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Till you can't work out no more!

Till you puke!

Till the music ends!

Till the break of day!

Till the cows come home!

Till the break of dawn!

Till you really really really feel it!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Recently read that walking isn't effective until you reach 45 minutes. Not saying I believe it, but that's what I read.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Recently read that walking isn't effective until you reach 45 minutes. Not saying I believe it, but that's what I read.

I'm constantly getting articles in my news feed that swing between the extremes of "Even if you're only walking around for two minutes at a time it's all cumulative at the end of the day!" and "Walk for 60 minutes at a time to see any benefit!" I believe the effectiveness is closely associated with what kind of shape the person doing the exercise is in.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I read that aliens built the pyramids. The moral of the story is people write crazy *kitten*, and you have to be careful where you get your information.

Example: I need milk. There's a store a block and a half away, I can't even park that close. So I'm going to walk for about 2 minutes, buy milk, and then walk home. And that walking will be effective at getting me milk. It'll also be effective in the sense that it's better to take care of errands by walking more when it's possible because every step I take adds to my TDEE.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    How long do you have?
    For it depends on where I am.
    Home: 4 to 5 mile swim before work. That is up to about 3 hours (while my wife is still sleeping). Then weight room for an hour after work a few days with my wife.
    In China, 2.2km swim before work, 6.6km after work. A little over 3 hours total. Weight room on weekends after morning 6.6km swim and a break.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    When I'm sitting at my desk, standing is effective in decompressing my *kitten*... every... single... time. :p
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

Effective for what though?
    mph323 wrote: »

I'm constantly getting articles in my news feed that swing between the extremes of "Even if you're only walking around for two minutes at a time it's all cumulative at the end of the day!" and "Walk for 60 minutes at a time to see any benefit!" I believe the effectiveness is closely associated with what kind of shape the person doing the exercise is in.

It is cumulative in terms of movement, energy expenditure, general health and wellness, etc. You need longer bouts of any exercise though to build aerobic endurance.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    How long should you work out? How long should you make a piece of string? It depends what you are trying to accomplish...there is no way to answer the question in a general way.