Fulltime travelers

Options
Anyone else here fulltime travellers? How do you eat healthy/stay fit on the road?

Replies

• jessiebelcher
    jessiebelcher Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Katrina I’m travelling at the moment and I’m just about to start losing weight (start trying anyway but I’m thinking positive). I’ve got a few ideas as follows:
    - avoid processed carbs as a general rule of thumb
    – if carbs are unavoidable eat half the amount that others are having or would have with this meal (for example I ordered an Asian stirfry for dinner and ate veggies and half the rice rather than the whole meal)
    - always find supermarket and buy some fresh fruit and other low-fat snacks to have on hand (some of these may be carbs such as muesli bars but should be low calorie)
    - Drink lots of water/Carry a water bottle
    - When you need a treat have one glass of wine – it has less calories than a chocolate bar and is more fun :-)

Let me know if you have any ideas too. I am determined to start losing some weight and would love to share tips and updates if you’re interested. Jessie
  • lala_shrinks
    lala_shrinks Posts: 10 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I love the hearts of travelers ❤ my husband and i road tripped together for a year, sleeping out of our Subaru mostly and then renting an airbnb when we need or wanted too.
    This is a tough one for me because i ended up gaining a bit of wieght that year. We did everything as inexpensively as possible and that means we ate shared meals and my hunny isn't one for healthy foods. We didnt drink as much water as we should have due to having to stop so many times just to "pop a squat". We also ate alot of "dry foods" or canned foods like camping food. It was very convenient to store without needing to be in a cooler. And easy to just add water and heat up with our backpacking stove. Luckily we hiked every chance we could and explored on foot often. To counter balance our cheap and poor nutrition.

So i guess my advice would be:
    • research all the farmers markets or fruit & veggie stands/markets you can in your upcoming location.
    •When you get an opportunity to prepare meals dont miss it.
    •Make yourself veggie or chicken wraps in bulk. (Wraps are amazing while traveling) really any hand held meal not needing utensils is.
    •Have a little cooler stocked up with premade easy to eat on the go meals.
    •Have a basket or container near with bars, or apples, or carrot sticks or whatever you like.
    •keep toilet paper with you ALWAYS
    •drink water even if you have to stop to go more than you would like. It really does help your body in the long run to be hydrated.

I know now traveling is meant to be lived in the moment, not in the motion. I should have drank more water and bought fresh produce more often.

I hope you have the most amazing travels 💚
  • katrina6823
    katrina6823 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi Katrina I’m travelling at the moment and I’m just about to start losing weight (start trying anyway but I’m thinking positive). I’ve got a few ideas as follows:
    - avoid processed carbs as a general rule of thumb
    – if carbs are unavoidable eat half the amount that others are having or would have with this meal (for example I ordered an Asian stirfry for dinner and ate veggies and half the rice rather than the whole meal)
    - always find supermarket and buy some fresh fruit and other low-fat snacks to have on hand (some of these may be carbs such as muesli bars but should be low calorie)
    - Drink lots of water/Carry a water bottle
    - When you need a treat have one glass of wine – it has less calories than a chocolate bar and is more fun :-)

Let me know if you have any ideas too. I am determined to start losing some weight and would love to share tips and updates if you’re interested. Jessie

Definately find it hard to avoid all the processed carbs. I limit them as much as possible though. We prepare all our own food which makes it alot easier just once or twice a week we have to opt for a packet of flavoured pasta to save money. Feel free to add me so we can discuss ideas if you like :)
  • katrina6823
    katrina6823 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love the hearts of travelers ❤ my husband and i road tripped together for a year, sleeping out of our Subaru mostly and then renting an airbnb when we need or wanted too.
    This is a tough one for me because i ended up gaining a bit of wieght that year. We did everything as inexpensively as possible and that means we ate shared meals and my hunny isn't one for healthy foods. We didnt drink as much water as we should have due to having to stop so many times just to "pop a squat". We also ate alot of "dry foods" or canned foods like camping food. It was very convenient to store without needing to be in a cooler. And easy to just add water and heat up with our backpacking stove. Luckily we hiked every chance we could and explored on foot often. To counter balance our cheap and poor nutrition.

So i guess my advice would be:
    • research all the farmers markets or fruit & veggie stands/markets you can in your upcoming location.
    •When you get an opportunity to prepare meals dont miss it.
    •Make yourself veggie or chicken wraps in bulk. (Wraps are amazing while traveling) really any hand held meal not needing utensils is.
    •Have a little cooler stocked up with premade easy to eat on the go meals.
    •Have a basket or container near with bars, or apples, or carrot sticks or whatever you like.
    •keep toilet paper with you ALWAYS
    •drink water even if you have to stop to go more than you would like. It really does help your body in the long run to be hydrated.

I know now traveling is meant to be lived in the moment, not in the motion. I should have drank more water and bought fresh produce more often.

I hope you have the most amazing travels 💚

I should mention we live permanently out of our van :) and we cook 99.5% percent of our meals. we also have a fridge in our van so do eat as much fresh produce as possible just finding it hard to keep to my calorie count down. Especially on days the budget is super tight and we reach for the processed packet foods like pasta. I also find wraps to put my calories up a fair bit otherwise I'd live off those haha. The current wraps on their own are 210calories each. 1 had one lentil burrito for dinner tonight and it was 600+ calories.