Do cyclocross riders use flats or cleats?

Options
How can you run on cleats?

Replies

• ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Use spd pedals Like mountain bike shoes then can clip in both sides of pedal and the cleat is. Recessed into the shoe allowing you to run
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    MTB spd. Cleat is in the sole and doesnt touch the ground
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    SPD on a mountain bike shoe. It's easy to unclip, and I feel more secure.

Fwiw I'm also a trail marathon runner. Trail shoes are very flexible, so you'd lose a lot of power transmission.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I don't race cross but from everything I've seen (and heard from multiple friends who race cross) everyone above is correct.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Multi (angle) release SPDs.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options

Are the multi-angle the ones that release by rotating the toe or heel either one? My local bike shop was telling me about those the other day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Haven't raced in a couple of years, but I still trail ride and gravel grind with my CX bike...I have always used multi directional release SPD pedals and mountain bike shoes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Are the multi-angle the ones that release by rotating the toe or heel either one? My local bike shop was telling me about those the other day.

Yes, they're great for beginners and also doing something like CX where you don't necessarily want to be fighting to clip out.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

With regular SPD pedals, you twist your heel away from the bike to get out. With the multi release ones you can twist it in or out, or just pull straight back to get out.