Young adult weight management

Options
Will a 14yr old female gain from 1500cals?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Highly unlikely, unless very short and very sedentary - for teens a good amount calories are important for growth/bones/development hence why this app is aimed at over 18s.

• Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I would hope that you are not asking for yourself, as there is a reason the app requires you to be over 18 to use it.

However, the answer: No.

"The current USDA guidelines recommends that sedentary 14-year-old females consume 1,800 calories each day. Females who are 14 and are moderately active should consume 2,000 calories in a day. Active females who are 14 are advised to eat 2,400 calories a day, the same amount as a sedentary or moderately active male."

https://www.livestrong.com/article/294654-how-many-calories-should-a-fourteen-year-old-eat-in-a-day/

Teenagers need more calories than equivalent adult women.

And in reality it'll also depend on their stats. But a young person should not be eating low calorie amounts while they are growing. Restricting calories for growing bodies can cause big big health problems in adulthood. Consulting with a doctor is probably the best bet if they require weight loss as they will be able to sort out a plan for healthy weight loss that doesn't contribute to problems going forward.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    The young person should talk to their pediatrician about this.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    You're too young to be here.
  • megtheeggo
    megtheeggo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I’d like to enclose that I am old enough to be using this forum- I am 25 years of age, information I shouldn’t have to justify. I’m simply asking for my close friends daughter as she’s worried about her health. Thankyou to those who gave me constructive feedback, rather than choosing to attempt bellitlement
  • megtheeggo
    megtheeggo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I understand, thankyou
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    megtheeggo wrote: »
    I’d like to enclose that I am old enough to be using this forum- I am 25 years of age, information I shouldn’t have to justify. I’m simply asking for my close friends daughter as she’s worried about her health. Thankyou to those who gave me constructive feedback, rather than choosing to attempt bellitlement

You should direct your close friend to discuss her daughter's concerns with their pediatrician.