Struggling with maintenance

Options
This is my first ever post so please be gentle.
So 3years ago I weighed in over 15stone. After having my daughter I had a health scare and had my gallbladder removed due to infection.
After this I thought I needed to sort myself out so downloaded MFP and brought an elliptical trainer.
My goal was 9 stone.
My problem is now that I reached 9stone but kept losing. I’m now 8st 11lbs.
I’m struggling mentally to get out of the mind frame of losing weight and just trying to maintain.
I have an Apple Watch and aim to burn atleast a minimum of 300calories a day.
I work 15hour shifts and my job role as a support worker doesn’t really give breaks so I struggle to eat even 1000 calories but I’m still burning calories as I’m always running around or supporting individuals out and about.
At home I now have a treadmill so every day off I’m on it.
Eating wise at home sometimes I won’t eat untill about 5pm and other days I do really well with a balanced breakfast, lunch and dinner. I do enjoy a weekly takeaway and won’t eat the whole day so I know I won’t feel to guilty about eating all the calories.
I check calories on EVERYTHING and weigh EVERYTHING. I like this control over my food consumption.
I don’t check my calories per day as I do it per week Monday-Sunday.
I know I’m trying to maintain but I’m not comfortable unless my calorie consumption for the week is under atleast 4000 calories(this does include the exercise I burn).
I don’t want to keep losing weight as I’m worried it’s going to effect my health but I’m struggling with my mental health.
I have loose skin and I know it’s not fat but I see it as fat. It’s like a constant battle between a voice of reason and a voice of doubt in my head.
Just want to know that I’m not the only one struggling. I know people will say and have said “oh just eat more” but it’s easier said then done. I’m terrified of putting on weight because I feel like even if I put on a little bit then it’s not going to stop and I’m gonna be back at 15stone again. I know it sounds daft because I will take control before it gets to that again but I am TERRFIED! I don’t want my daughter to ever see me so unhealthy because how will it effect her.
I’m sorry for the essay, I just want to see if other people are struggling the same or have struggled and how they overcame the mental torture of it all.
Thanks

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,972 Member
    Options
    twdlove89 wrote: »
    This is my first ever post so please be gentle.
    So 3years ago I weighed in over 15stone. After having my daughter I had a health scare and had my gallbladder removed due to infection.
    After this I thought I needed to sort myself out so downloaded MFP and brought an elliptical trainer.
    My goal was 9 stone.
    My problem is now that I reached 9stone but kept losing. I’m now 8st 11lbs.
    I’m struggling mentally to get out of the mind frame of losing weight and just trying to maintain.
    I have an Apple Watch and aim to burn atleast a minimum of 300calories a day.
    I work 15hour shifts and my job role as a support worker doesn’t really give breaks so I struggle to eat even 1000 calories but I’m still burning calories as I’m always running around or supporting individuals out and about.
    At home I now have a treadmill so every day off I’m on it.
    Eating wise at home sometimes I won’t eat untill about 5pm and other days I do really well with a balanced breakfast, lunch and dinner. I do enjoy a weekly takeaway and won’t eat the whole day so I know I won’t feel to guilty about eating all the calories.
    I check calories on EVERYTHING and weigh EVERYTHING. I like this control over my food consumption.
    I don’t check my calories per day as I do it per week Monday-Sunday.
    I know I’m trying to maintain but I’m not comfortable unless my calorie consumption for the week is under atleast 4000 calories(this does include the exercise I burn).
    I don’t want to keep losing weight as I’m worried it’s going to effect my health but I’m struggling with my mental health.
    I have loose skin and I know it’s not fat but I see it as fat. It’s like a constant battle between a voice of reason and a voice of doubt in my head.
    Just want to know that I’m not the only one struggling. I know people will say and have said “oh just eat more” but it’s easier said then done. I’m terrified of putting on weight because I feel like even if I put on a little bit then it’s not going to stop and I’m gonna be back at 15stone again. I know it sounds daft because I will take control before it gets to that again but I am TERRFIED! I don’t want my daughter to ever see me so unhealthy because how will it effect her.
    I’m sorry for the essay, I just want to see if other people are struggling the same or have struggled and how they overcame the mental torture of it all.
    Thanks

Is the bolded part a typo? If you are truly only comfortable if you are netting an average of 4000 per week or 571 calories per day then you may need to speak with your doctor about that. If that should say 14000 per week that is a whole other thing. I think for the most part your fears are pretty typical going into maintenance. I had many of the same fears of regaining, and at least for me it has taken a while to change my mindset from losing.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You need to speak to your doctor
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    speak to a therapist, & your doc
  • Fatgonegirl
    Fatgonegirl Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hi, please go see your GP, don't worry about getting a bad reception. The NHS has some great resources to help us with mental health problems, much better than it was a few years ago. If you are worried take your husband with you.

Good luck
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    4000 a week? Heck I almost eat that in a day sometimes! # bulking? Lol
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,972 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you spoke to your husband about it and I do hope you will seek some professional help as well. It can be a little difficult to switch gears from losing to maintaining, but it should not be "mental torture". Best of luck!
  • twdlove89
    twdlove89 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I feel I may have confused people with how I’ve worded my calorie total for the week.
    Basically for the week I’m ment to have 13,300 to 14,000 but after my deducting what I’ve burnt from exercise I’m consuming around 8-9,000 a week.
    Is this ok or not. I know that even if this amount is ok that I should still see someone. Just constantly arguing with myself wether I’m eating too much or not enough.