Macros appropriate percentage

Options
Hello everyone,
I am trying to lose weight. My goal is 2lbs/week. By default MFP set my macronutrients to C 50%, P 20% and F 30%. After reading couple of success stories, i saw many members lowering C and increasing P or so. How do i know if this percentage is good for my target weightloss? Why do other members manually adjust these percentages?

Regards,
Prady

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is created by a calorie deficit.

People usually adjust their macro goals due to personal preference -- some people find it easier to be in a calorie deficit when they get more protein or more fat, for example.

So for best results, set your calorie goal with weight loss in mind and then set your macros based on your personal preferences (and to ensure you get sufficient protein and fat).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Prady2012 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,
    I am trying to lose weight. My goal is 2lbs/week. By default MFP set my macronutrients to C 50%, P 20% and F 30%. After reading couple of success stories, i saw many members lowering C and increasing P or so. How do i know if this percentage is good for my target weightloss? Why do other members manually adjust these percentages?

Regards,
    Prady

weight loss and weight management in general is about calories, not your macro ratios...I am only vaguely aware of them since I don't log.

Many people increase protein when dieting because it helps preserve muscle mass...if you increase protein then something has to give...usually carbs for most people. Other people have more specific fitness and performance goals for which macro ratios can also matter.