Gift collections at work

Options
kds10
kds10 Posts: 452 Member
Do you partake in stuff like this? Right now at work they are collecting for someone who got married and two people who are leaving their job to take another one..and I have no urge to put money in. Yes I will sign the card but don't feel like putting money toward any of this.

Do you always contribute to workplace collections?

Does it make a difference if it is a large workplace as opposed to a small workplace?

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i do put in a few dollars when i can afford to but most people know i can't

i've done it at a multinational company and at a small company.
  • Chael2dot0
    Chael2dot0 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Gif collections, yea!

35b50-gift-gif4.gif
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I’ve bough for ladies before they go on maternity leave or pitched in for a birthday lunch, but the only way I am buying something for someone’s wedding is if I was invited.

I tend to do it more if someone is retiring or perhaps sympathy flowers, etc. are being purchased. I agree with you about the wedding. I don't know him that well and have never met his now wife so no money from me.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I worked with a lot of people with school age children. They would bring in solictations for things their kids were selling. I just opted out because there were too many. As far as contributing to gifts from the office - it depends on the occasion - for a birthday or a mom or dad going out on maternity leave, a wedding or sympathy flowers, I would always give about $5, but if it was a retirement I would likely give more. It also depends on how close I felt to the person.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    My current company is small and pretty divided between larger/smaller salaries so there is NO WAY they would ever do a collection for anything. A big goal is not highlighting the differences between departments & levels, so this just wouldn't happen. The owner is a successful yet quite generous guy and will just pony up his own money for whatever (gift from the entire company to someone getting married...huge plant for sympathy when an employee's loved one passes, etc). If an employee suggested taking up a collection the answer would be a hard no and I suppose they could do it secretly if they wanted.

In the past, I have usually contributed though...at smaller and larger companies. I always bought gifts for baby showers in the workplace when that was a thing (working with all female staff in social services is the only time that was really "done"). I'm totally with Coffee and Contour about not chipping in on a wedding gift unless I was invited, OR maybe if I was the direct supervisor of the person getting married & knew they were having a smaller than typical ceremony.

Once, my coworkers took up a collection for an expectant mother to get a prenatal massage...but then we had some sort of game at our meeting where I won $10 so I threw that in. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have.