Recommended Daily Allowance - Sugars

Options
All of my research indicates that the recommended daily allowance for sugars for women is 90 grams. Yet MFP has 25gm as the daily limit for sugars for me. Why is this?

Replies

• mittens817
    mittens817 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would like to know that answer also. I eat an apple every morning and that is 11 sugars, even though I am told they are "good" sugars!!!
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    The only one I recall is >45g of added sugars a day. I'd generally disregard MFPs default setting.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Disregard sugars unless you have diabetes. Track fiber instead.
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic and I have turned the sugar tracker off. What you want to be concerned about is total carbs -- stay away from refined sugars and processed carbs -- the sugars from dairy products and from fruit is not the kind of sugar you want to be concerned about. However, if your weight loss is stalled and you eat a ton of fruit a day, then maybe you want to cut back. Berries and apples are better fruit choices than watermelon and grapes because of the fiber content. But watermelon and grapes are better than cakes, cookies, candy and ice cream...
  • PunkinSpice79
    PunkinSpice79 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Disregard sugars unless you have diabetes. Track fiber instead.

This ^ ^ is what I do.
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I try to stay within MFP's recommendations. I never make it on the protein because I drink protein shakes but I try to watch the sugar. I figure there is probably a reason they recommend it. lol I have a silly theory that maybe our bodies have stopped breaking down those "natural" sugars in fruit because are bodies are reprogrammed by what we have eaten in the past. Until I see different I am enjoying the weight loss. I keep my fruits to a limit and get as much fiber as I can. MHO anyway.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I try to stay within MFP's recommendations. I never make it on the protein because I drink protein shakes but I try to watch the sugar. I figure there is probably a reason they recommend it. lol I have a silly theory that maybe our bodies have stopped breaking down those "natural" sugars in fruit because are bodies are reprogrammed by what we have eaten in the past. Until I see different I am enjoying the weight loss. I keep my fruits to a limit and get as much fiber as I can. MHO anyway.

I love all of the science in this post.