3rd shifter needing help

Unfortunately I got moved to 3rd shift
12am-7am this has impacted my overall health in a bad way.
I go to the gym Monday-Friday at 4am for about 45 min mostly weight training light cardio.

I would also like to mention first that I'm currently on Test. (.07 weekly) this is doctor prescribed for low T. I've been on for 8 weeks I've seen a big improvement on my overall strength but not weightloss

I can't seem to make a dent I'm maintaining weight. Although weightloss is not my overall goal putting muscle on is I'd still like to see a slight reduction in overall body fat.
I try to sleep when I can but I find I'm always tired. And my eating habits and schedule are all over the place.
I'm looking for another 3rd shifter that has any diets that work for them, at this point I'll try anything.

Replies

• thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    You may or may not have actually lost weight. It sounds like a stressful situation, compounded by the screwy sleep, and stress can cause water retention. This may not be the case, but at least you're having success maintaining!

It's been a while since I worked third shift and I want eating healthy at that point in my life so I don't know that I can be much help in that arena other than the basics that hold true regardless if shift. The one thing I do want to suggest is to maybe try finding a good sleep schedule first. Since your are having success maintaining, getting a good sleep schedule will not only hello with being able to figure out an eating schedule, it will help reduce some stress and helps your body be able to repair and to send you more accurate hunger signals.

I know for me, having a cool room that's as dark as I could get it really helped (I couldn't justify the money for blackout curtains so sometimes during the summer I would hang a towel over the window to make a makeshift double curtain).

Wish I could be more hello. Good luck.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I despised third shift. When I'm sleep deprived I have the munchies, and gravitate towards high fat and carb junk. If getting a new job or getting back on a decent shift isn't an option, I suggest you work really hard on your sleep hygiene and ensure you are getting enough protein.

Room darkening curtains are cheap at Walmart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Room-Darkening-Solid-Woven-Panel-Pair/45091502

I've tried many different ear plugs and love these, which I buy by the case from Amazon:

71jeCfL6UOL._SX522_.jpg

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    I agree with the previous posts that getting on a regular sleep schedule is the first, most important step. Black-out shades or an eye mask and earplugs are essential. Is it possible to keep your same schedule even on your days off? That may be tough but if you could do it for a while to get your body regulated that should help your energy levels.