Changing from cutting to recomp questions

Options
So I'm like 2lbs away from my goal weight. I want to lose 5lb past my goal in order to help provide a "cushion" for any mistakes while figuring out recomp/maintenance. But I plugged in my goals from losing 1.5lb a week to maintaining and I dont see how I wont jist gain wait going from 1380cal a week to 2090cal that MFP says.

Or should I just go up gradually to that?

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I have gradually gone to maintenance by adding 50-100 cal a week and trending my weight. When you aren't losing/gaining for at least 3 weeks then you are in maintenance.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    So I'm like 2lbs away from my goal weight. I want to lose 5lb past my goal in order to help provide a "cushion" for any mistakes while figuring out recomp/maintenance. But I plugged in my goals from losing 1.5lb a week to maintaining and I dont see how I wont jist gain wait going from 1380cal a week to 2090cal that MFP says.

Or should I just go up gradually to that?

You will potentially gain some weight due to extra food and glycogen by increasing your calories so dramatically all at once.

I would add 200 cals per week for the next 3 weeks until you're at roughly 2000 and then see what the scales do.

Fluctuations are normal though so don't freak out when the scales go up a little
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    What don't you understand? Those numbers seems right to me... realizing that they are just numbers spit out of a formula based on the information you provide.

Regardless, working up to your maintenance number gradually probably can't hurt.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you are actually losing at around 1.5 lbs a week then the numbers look just about perfect - why do you doubt them? If you trusted the numbers to lose weight why not continue to trust them at maintenance?
    See no reason not to start adding calories now if you are losing at that rate.

Go up gradually if you like or jump straight up to maintenance levels when you hit your goal - in a few months time it will be an irrelevance. A big part of maintenance is looking further ahead rather than just from week to week or weigh in to weigh in.

• corysmithsmail
    corysmithsmail Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Good points @jjpptt2 and @sijomial. I think I'm just having a mental hang up over it. Gradual does make more sense.