Sodium in meat

Why does meat have so much sodium?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Meat doesn't have that much sodium. Are you sure you're not pulling up entries for meat that is pre-seasoned or marinated? That does tend to have more sodium.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    edited December 2018
    As a preservative. I assume you mean lunch meat and not, say, chicken breast. Because raw meats don't have much unless they've been injected with it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Why does meat have so much sodium?

What meat has a lot of sodium? Most foods have minerals, including sodium that are naturally occurring, but I don't see it as being a lot.

If you're talking about lunch meat, they are high in sodium as it is added as part of the processing as a preservative. Some meats are also injected...example would be many store bought ready to eat rotisserie chickens.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited December 2018
    You might consider other options to reduce your high blood pressure and/or water retention. Low sodium intake is more dangerous than high sodium. Sodium is that electrolyte, the absence of which causes bad things to happen.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Why is string so long?
  • sungoddess337
    sungoddess337 Posts: 62 Member
    Thanks everyone. I thought unprocessed meat had little sodium so was really shocked when my entry for turkey was over 1000 mg. Went back and looked at entries. I had baked turkey and had selected 1 slice (which, I realize thanks to you all) was lunch meat not fresh. Difference of almost 1000 mg. Will definitely be more careful.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Thanks everyone. I thought unprocessed meat had little sodium so was really shocked when my entry for turkey was over 1000 mg. Went back and looked at entries. I had baked turkey and had selected 1 slice (which, I realize thanks to you all) was lunch meat not fresh. Difference of almost 1000 mg. Will definitely be more careful.

A lot of frozen turkey is injected with a brine solution too, adding sodium. Not just lunch meat. Frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts are soaked in a solution before being frozen too.
    If you are trying to avoid added sodium, fresh is best.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member

Unfortunately, the "verified" green check marks are used for both user-created entries and system entries. To find system entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and plug that into MFP.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP.