Random snacking

Options
Anyone have issues with grabbing random snacks while you’re cooking your food or waiting for it to cook. I have a problem the most with this when I come home from work and I’m the most hungry then, and I have to prep or cook my food. I’m thinking about trying things like sucking on a peppermint candy while I cook my food or chewing some gum to see if that helps. Anyone else have this problem and found something that works for them to cut down on the snacking between meals.

Replies

• Eternally_Hers
    Eternally_Hers Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Nuts like walnuts and almonds are pretty filling so I measure out some of those and also drink 900ml of water. Apples also are very filling if I don't feel like having veggies for supper. I plan for a snack while making my supper. Usually when my stomach is really empty, gum doesn't really work because I need something to go into my stomach rather then just chewing on something.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    yes, it's terrible when I've decided to cook a meal that takes a really long time, too :( Why do I do this to myself. If I'm that hungry I'll just eat a snack while I'm cooking. But portion it out, don't just stand there with a bag of chips lol
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Yeah I used to do this a lot. I would quick add 100-200 calories just to compensate.
  • gatherum89
    gatherum89 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    yes, it's terrible when I've decided to cook a meal that takes a really long time, too :( Why do I do this to myself. If I'm that hungry I'll just eat a snack while I'm cooking. But portion it out, don't just stand there with a bag of chips lol

Lol I just had this mental image of me just staring at my food cooking as I’m shoveling chips from a bag in to my mouth... thinking yeah man this MFP stuff really is working for me well rn

• bekkanewman1992
    bekkanewman1992 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try snacking on low calorie things such as the new itsu seaweed packs - only 22 cal, micarfe sweet popcorn - 51 cal per pack, beef jerky, around 75 cal per pack. Or the arlo yoghurts which have 20g protein are super filling and around 130 cal :)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I usually drink coffee or wine when I'm cooking. I guess the coffee is pretty low cal, the wine, not so much!
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Log the snacking. It's only a problem if it's putting you over your calorie target. If you count your food prep snacks and your still in a deficit then don't worry about it.

I guess if it was putting you over you could just reduce the meal you're preparing by the number of calories you ate while preparing it.
  • phoebe112476
    phoebe112476 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I always eat a snack while driving home around 3:30/4pm. I cook dinner between 4:30 and 5pm. I just plan it in and almost always eat it to prevent being famished while making dinner and dealing with three hungry kids.

Grape tomatoes are my favorite low calorie snack when I just need something if I get way behind on dinner or somehow miss my pre- dinner snack.