Weight Lose vs Fat Lose with Strength Training

Options
Long time reader, first time posting!

Having said I want to set some ground rules for everyone replying, because I’ve noticed a large number of “comment creepers” who troll the message boards waiting to “give advice.” This post isn’t about advice.

My question is simple: at what point did your fat lose start showing in the scale with your main source of exercise being strength training?

I ask this for one simple reason: mine hasn’t yet lol. A little back story; started off my journey to a new life by tracking what I was eating, and the weight started coming off immediately. I was doing a little cardio (mainly walking), and no weight lifting. Then got my gym membership, and shifted from mainly cardio to almost exclusively weight/strength training. Since then, the scale hasn’t budged a lbs.

I say this full well knowing that there will be one or two of you wanting to say “the goal is fat lose not weight lose,” and I agree. So keep that to yourself. My question isn’t for you, and that isn’t the answer to my question.

I only ask because a PART of my motivation is to see the scale go down. I have noticed considerable shrinking in myself with regards to clothing, and my muscles are starting to really show! In fact I did the douchiest thing I could today and was flexing in the mirror (don’t worry I was home, alone, in my bathroom). I just want to know from other lifters that have been doing this, when did the scale finally decide to catch up? I have 150 lbs I want to lose.

I am 30 years old, 6’5” tall and the last time I saw the scale move I was 402 lbs since a lot of people ask that. And yes, I am built like a Viking who packs on muscle quickly. I have also tinkered with my macros after being stuck for a month to account for more protein, and less carbs and fat (nothing drastic just wanted to see if it would help).

Just want to see what other lifters have experienced! Thanks all and I look forward to seeing everyone transform into their best selves!

Replies

• aortegasep
    aortegasep Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I started my process just tracking food and doing cardio, scale was moving down at a reasonable pace. When I started to lift weights (aprox 3 months ago) loosing weight was still present but at a slower rate, even some weeks with no movement down or little up, although clothes started to fit better- So, maybe thats why you are not seeing result at scale but do seen them in other places.
  • newhopeind
    newhopeind Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Agreed. And I expected as much, more just surprised the scale has stopped dead in its tracks over the past month! Thank you though!
  • JustMeJustEm06
    JustMeJustEm06 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Do you measure inches? Could be seeing increased muscle mass, so even if you are losing fat it won’t show as obviously as you’re trading off weight wise right now? Inches should show a difference, though.
    I definitely don’t do heavy lifting, so I’m no pro here! Haha
  • newhopeind
    Options
    Ya been measuring and seeing SOME loses in some places but not in others. But, staying motivated!
  • hazeleni
    hazeleni Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I dont lift but I was always a cardio girl.. I lost some weight.. When I started bodyweight routines (it was all I could afford and pull off) I noticed that my weight didnt drop as significantly as it did with calorie deficit only, but my body composition slooowly starts to change.. Visible muscle toning, and less fat around the belly and thighs.. Actually, more people commented about my weight loss a month and a half after starting my bodyweight routines rather than the first few months I did calorie deficit.. I estimate that I am losing fat and gaining some muscle mass even though the scale wont budge.. Works for me!
    Stay strong! Your results may take a while but then will be poppin!
  • newhopeind
    Options
    Well I def appreciate the insights from you guys. Staying motivated and for now, just going to focus on inches instead of weight till the scale finally decides to teeter over into the numbers I’m hoping to see!
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    How long have you been lifting? How long has the scale not moved? (I think these are the same time frame based on your post, but want to confirm.)
  • newhopeind
    Options
    Yes, they are the same time frame to the day. So about a month and some change.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I know you don't want advice, but...

...ahhh nevermind.
  • KimmyCarney
    KimmyCarney Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I started focusing on strength training I actually gained almost 10 lbs which was so frustrating. That happened in the first 2 months and then about 5 months later the weight followed. So I suppose for me it was 7 months total. Tough to motivated that long but sounds like you are really positive!
  • aortegasep
    aortegasep Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    newhopeind wrote: »
    Well I def appreciate the insights from you guys. Staying motivated and for now, just going to focus on inches instead of weight till the scale finally decides to teeter over into the numbers I’m hoping to see!

Some days its really frustrating to get up in scale just to find that the number is up!! (yesterday for me) But in those days I try to remember and convince myself that my new life style is way much better that my old me and eben if the scale is not cooperationg today, my body is better and stronger with each rep I make and every food choice I make.
  • newhopeind
    Options
    I don’t mind a little advice! Lol I just don’t like seeing the serial commenters who go around to every post saying the exact same thing in each one. I already weigh my food, so the defecit isn’t the issue. Been tracking 50+ days in a row as well. But, it’s alright. It’s like everyone is saying, it’s hard to stay motivated when the scale doesn’t show what you want (or in my case anything because I am past most weight limits for scales lol) but for now, focusing on inches, and clothing. Actually had to go shopping yesterday for new work out clothes because my “old stuff” was getting too baggy. So, I guess it’s what the post was about: trying to remind myself that I’m burning off fat and building muscle. Which I’d rather have a fit physique than a skinny one (especially a skinny one with loose skin).

Slow and steady I suppose! But thank you everyone. Nice hearing others have struggled but still found success, perhaps just at a slower rate of actual weight loss.