I've made a terrible mistake.

Options
had a sore throat this morning, so thought I'd go a salt water gargle to head it off before it got worse. unfortunately, needed to cough while I was gargling, panicked, and swallowed instead of spitting.

most people who've taken an excitable dog to the beach would know the effect of a big gulp of salty water on the body.

within five minutes I felt weird and shaky, building to a nauseous crescendo within half an hour. massive desire to vomit, but I hate being sick, and so fought the urge.

I regret that now. I've felt sick for hours, my stomach is doing an ominous low-down churn, and I fear how my night will unfold!

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    omygosh. That's terrible :flowerforyou:
    I'd never heard of someone getting ill from swallowing a bunch of salt before, it must've been a LOT of salt :ohwell:
    I've swallowed more beachwater than I care to recall :embarassed: I hope you feel better soon. Can drinking water help dilute the saline solution you ingested?.....I guess you've probably figured out that in retrospect, vomiting immediately after ingestion would've been a good idea. I hope you feel better.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    yes, it was very salty water. I've read posts on advice sites that recommend a cup of water with 3tsp of salt as a method to induce vomiting, and I think there was 3 or 4 tsp of salt in the mouthful I swallowed, so I'm surprised I didn't puke!

as I said though, in retrospect I wish I had!

as well as the disgusting nausea, I am so, so, so thirsty. like absolute cottonmouth thirsty. but I feel so sick I'm struggling to drink!
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I know that feeling, I used to wash my lip piercings with salt water. Ended up swallowing some when I was rinsing the inside of one... :sick:
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Drink, water, milk, tea, coffee, just drink.
    The excess salt will dehyrate you, drink water, LOTS
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Well you won't do it again will you
  • iyerritsegan1
    Options
    Try and drink as much water as you can. The salt water will massively dehydrate you and if you don't drink lots of water you could end up worse! just keep drinking, little sips!
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to drink as much as I can, but it's hard because I feel so sick. I've taken to my bed and every time I start to feel a little better I get up and drink something more, which makes me feel sick so then I have to go back to bed and begin the process again!

I'm glad I recorded my weight a day early today, because after a few bottles of ginger beer and a whole carton of full fat milk, as well as as much water as I can manage, I've developed quite a pot belly and I'm pretty sure tomorrow's weigh in will not be as good as today's!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    yes, it was very salty water. I've read posts on advice sites that recommend a cup of water with 3tsp of salt as a method to induce vomiting, and I think there was 3 or 4 tsp of salt in the mouthful I swallowed, so I'm surprised I didn't puke!

as I said though, in retrospect I wish I had!

as well as the disgusting nausea, I am so, so, so thirsty. like absolute cottonmouth thirsty. but I feel so sick I'm struggling to drink!

DUH!!! yes, now I remember. Absolutely is used to induce vomiting :ohwell: Sometimes I forget my veterinary training, you poor thing:frown: