Yoga or Cross fit?

Options
Currently, I do hot Vinyasa yoga and I love it BUT my friend has been doing cross fit for less time and is seeing better results...
I know, I know ... everyone’s body is different ...I just want to hear some thoughts.

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    What sorts of results are you looking for?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Do you think you would love cross fit as much as yoga? Over time, consistency is what matters.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Do what you like. And yes everyone is different.
  • lalabank
    lalabank Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Why not both?
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    A lot of guns will let you have a trial day. Maybe see if CrossFit is something you would even enjoy doing. If it is, as @lalabank said, why not do both? If it's monetary, maybe you could start doing CrossFit and do yoga at home. I know it wouldn't be the same but at least you wouldn't have to totally cut out an activity you enjoy.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I feel like they are suited for different goals. What are you hoping yoga and/or crossfit will help you achieve? What does "better results" mean? And does it have to be one or the other... is there a reason you can't do both?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    depends on what your goals are
    (the hot does nothing)

try both and do which one you'll stick with
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    What are you interested in doing, and what are your performance goals?

I see them as two different things, so would likely do both. Yoga is really more about flexibility, maybe a little bit of cardio but not much, and some strength/core work. (The heat does nothing, except raise your heart rate -- which doesn't mean you're getting a cardio burn -- and cause you to lose some water weight.)

I'm not a huge CrossFit fan, but that strikes me -- based on what I've read -- as more functional training, and strength training, with some cardio thrown in.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    I vote for both. Give Crossfit a try. You may like it or you may not but yoga is a good counter-balance for strenuous workouts.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    FireOpalCO wrote: »
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    (the hot does nothing)

Uh, no. Hot Yoga is very beneficial. It takes real muscle strength to hold poses for that long.

OP, I do yoga (including hot) and also Orangetheory. Yoga is great for building core strength and improving flexibility, but it isn't a cardio workout. I get the cardio and strength training at OTF.

I think you're misunderstanding...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Currently, I do hot Vinyasa yoga and I love it BUT my friend has been doing cross fit for less time and is seeing better results...
    I know, I know ... everyone’s body is different ...I just want to hear some thoughts.

These are two completely different activities...night and day with completely different objectives. Crossfit is a far more intense workout than vinyasa.

Personally, I don't see why you couldn't do both...I tried 3 different boxes and they all had a free intro class. I tried it for a month and determined it wasn't my bag and I'd rather hit the weight room for more traditional lifting and running and cycling for cardio.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    (the hot does nothing)

Uh, no. Hot Yoga is very beneficial. It takes real muscle strength to hold poses for that long.

OP, I do yoga (including hot) and also Orangetheory. Yoga is great for building core strength and improving flexibility, but it isn't a cardio workout. I get the cardio and strength training at OTF.

high temperature classes does nothing different than regular temperature classes other than make you sweat more and typically more prone to injury due to hyperextension

vinyasa can be a cardio workout but not to the extent of a hard run. it should be flowing and moving and my heart rate certainly gets elevated. probably more akin to a quick walk or low intensity hike
    hatha and some other styles are not cardio as you are more static and move less

All yoga styles mentioned in this thread and that include asanas (postures/poses) are hatha yoga.

https://www.yogajournal.com/meditation/yoga-questions-answered

Karma yoga, Jnana yoga and Bhakti yoga are examples of yoga that are not hatha.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma_yoga
  • mbaker566
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    (the hot does nothing)

high temperature classes does nothing different than regular temperature classes other than make you sweat more and typically more prone to injury due to hyperextension

vinyasa can be a cardio workout but not to the extent of a hard run. it should be flowing and moving and my heart rate certainly gets elevated. probably more akin to a quick walk or low intensity hike

All yoga styles mentioned in this thread and that include asanas (postures/poses) are hatha yoga.

vinyasa is flow. which the OP specifically mentioned
    hatha is more static
    they both have asanas which is 1 out of 8 limbs of yoga
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    (the hot does nothing)

vinyasa is flow. which the OP specifically mentioned
    hatha is more static
    they both have asanas which is 1 out of 8 limbs of yoga

Anything with asanas is hatha yoga.
  • mbaker566
    Options

i did also see a smaller amount of blogs saying that vinyasa was hatha but not all hatha is vinyasa. which is why they are typically labelled differently in class/studio schedules. at least, at the studio i work at, local studios, and other studios i visited

below are links that also treat them as different styles
    gaiam
    fellow teacher
    list of styles
    hatha vs vinyasa

so conclusion. fine, vinyasa is rooted in hatha
    but classes labelled as either differ greatly. and the OP specifically stated vinyasa. which means it is light cardio more so than a specifically labelled hatha class

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I'm about as flexible as a baseball bat. All this talk of yoga is making my joints hurt. lol