Low Impact Exercises for Chronic Illness

Options
TheOn3LeftBehind
TheOn3LeftBehind Posts: 3 Member
edited December 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all,

I am trying to figure out what exercises would be best for me based on my chronic illnesses as they are always triggered by exercise (even low impact), the worst affected being cyclic vomiting syndrome and fibromyalgia. I have to keep moving otherwise my pain gets very bad, but I do listen to my body and if I can’t keep going I won’t otherwise I will be extremely ill for a while. I’ve been struggling because I am not getting better with exercise (even after doing it for a while). In fact, I get so sick after exercise I don’t want to do it at all, and it actually puts me in such a terrible irritable mood from feeling so sick that it has created an aversion. But I know I have to keep doing it or I will get weak and muscles will become extremely tight.

I start with stretching, I make sure I’m hydrated, and I don’t eat beforehand otherwise I will vomit. I am only doing the recumbent bike for the moment, but I can only do the first level and a lower speed. After about 15 minutes I have to stop and do a cool down because that’s when I start to feel nauseous. If I go beyond 20 minutes I will vomit and my muscles become very fatigued and my pain from fibro gets bad to the point of feeling like my legs have no coordination. Going too long will also throw me into a full episode of cyclic vomiting that will last for months. I may also have limited scleroderma (although I have not shown symptoms yet I did test positive for it), so I would appreciate that being kept in mind too just in case I need to adjust for the future.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what I should try? It feels hopeless and draining.

Thanks!

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I think this is something you need to bring up with your doctor. Maybe a referral to a physiotherapist might be in order.
  • TheOn3LeftBehind
    Options
    I think this is something you need to bring up with your doctor. Maybe a referral to a physiotherapist might be in order.

That’s what I was thinking. It seems to be too specialized now. I will call my doctor tomorrow. Thanks!
  • Shannongr29
    Shannongr29 Posts: 1,809 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I have Fibromygia as well in addition to my lupus and I experience the same general issue. Talking to your Doctor is ABSOLUTELY critical and should be your first step. But ill tell you what I’ve found to be helpful for me. I find walking and swimming are the best for me, just to keep things moving to help the pain. I always check for fevers before I work out. Also a lot of my muscle weakness, fatigue, and my vomiting seem to result from my low oxygen levels because I unconsciously don't breathing deeply enough due to rib and chest pain.
    But that’s me, not you so yeah, definitely ask your rheumatologists about this.
    But I completely empathize with your frustration and hopelessness feelings. We can support each other because it sounds like we have very similar issues/challenges
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I'm going to second the recommendation of talking to your doctor about this. What you're looking for is way beyond the advice that anyone here can (or should) give. For what it's worth, you have my sympathy, especially with the cyclic vomiting.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    feeling nauseated whilst exercising could be a heart issue so get it checked!
    As far as exercise, I would look at water walking/calisthenics in the local swimming pool...it works great for those in pain...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes talk to your doctor. There are medicines for vomiting. I’m sorry you have to experience this.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Dilvish wrote: »
    feeling nauseated whilst exercising could be a heart issue so get it checked!
    As far as exercise, I would look at water walking/calisthenics in the local swimming pool...it works great for those in pain...

I'm not typically one to dispense medical advice, but you do realize that the OP has cyclical vomiting syndrome. From everything I've read about it (this is not at all the first time I've heard of it) nausea due to exercise is pretty par for the course.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I agree a referral to a physiotherapist would be the best.

My experience with Chronic Fatigue was similar. I would get screaming headaches with increasing exhaustion the more I exercised. I had friends telling me I just had to keep going and work through it. I just got sicker and sicker then gave up.

Finally when I started on here I began walking. I started out very slow. 4,000 steps a day. Doesn't sound like much but I worked up. Now I do 8 - 10 thousand a day and have not had any issues. You have to work up really slow and give your body time to adjust. After your doc clears you of course. It's been three years now and I'm just beginning weight lifting with a trainer who understands I have to go really slow. I feel much better than I did three years ago.

If weight loss is your goal remember that's about eating less calories than you burn you don't have to exercise to lose but it will make you feel better and give you a few more calories to eat. Good luck and I hope you get some help.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I'm doing aquatic physical therapy for fibro and arthritis. It's helpful and doesn't injure me.
  • TheOn3LeftBehind
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for the input! For anyone with similar issues, I talked with my gastroenterologist and my rheumatologist and they both highly recommended physical therapy to start. My GI told me there's nothing I can do that will completely help my cyclic vomiting syndrome symptoms with exercise, but I should continue low impact exercise and should listen to my body and figure out my stopping point so I don't go into a full blown episode. I was able to abort my last potential episode, thankfully, by resting a lot after I exercised, taking antiemetic medication, and using mindfulness as a sensory-calming approach when I would feel a wave of nausea.

I've also been taking 2.5mg of melatonin 4 hours before bed time as a recommendation and I've found it helps me with restorative sleep as one of my major symptoms of fibromyalgia is non-restorative sleep, which always increases my pain, fatigue, nausea, and general attention issues/brain fog. The fact that I have more energy, less pain, and less nausea has allowed me to exercise and not get as sick or burning hot, but I'm going to inquire about physical therapy as I already have the referral from my rheumatologist.