Just completed my 1st day in Hell....aka...C25K

HokieBrad
HokieBrad Posts: 1,670 Member
I would pat myself on the back but I don’t think I could get my arm up right now. I DID IT!! Completed the entire 30 minutes. The 1 minute runs got easier each time! Looking forward to Day 2

Replies

• FarmerCarla
    FarmerCarla Posts: 470 Member
    Yay for you! I loved C25K when I did it 7 years ago (age 59). I went on to run 5K and 10K races for a couple of years until I injured myself using a string trimmer--really dumb. I want to start again, but I have to strengthen my knees first. I tried starting last week, and the first day was great, until that afternoon when my knee started hurting. The doctor thinks I already had a torn meniscus before I started. Anyway, I have to heal (or have it repaired) and build up again. I'll definitely do lower body strength training before my next attempt.
    Run, Brad, Run! If you have kids, say over 8 years old, get them running with you! My boys liked running with us when they were young and two ran cross country in high school; my daughter hated it. Now, my daughter is doing C25K. I hope she'll enjoy running more now that she's older. :smile:
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,046 Member
    Great job! I started out using C25K, too! By the third run of the week I would think “There is no way I am ready for next week”. Then I would do the first run of the next week and think “ That wasn’t too bad”. Every single week. It’s amazing how quickly your endurance improves! I just finished a 5k to 10k training plan and have some 10k’s scheduled for early next year with plans to train for a half marathon after that. I always hated running, but C25K made me actually enjoy running!!

If you can find a race in your area around the time you are going to finish the plan, I recommend signing up! It is a huge motivator for me to know a race is coming and helps you have a target! And races are such a fun atmosphere!
  • HokieBrad
    Run, Brad, Run! If you have kids, say over 8 years old, get them running with you! My boys liked running with us when they were young and two ran cross country in high school; my daughter hated it. Now, my daughter is doing C25K. I hope she'll enjoy running more now that she's older. :smile:
    I have twins who are high school freshmen. One runs Cross Country and that was what really sparked my interest. The other twin and my 18 yo. Daughter are both soccer players. She is recovering from a torn ACL so I told her once she is cleared to run she can join me.
  • HokieBrad
    If you can find a race in your area around the time you are going to finish the plan, I recommend signing up! It is a huge motivator for me to know a race is coming and helps you have a target! And races are such a fun atmosphere!

The Yeungling St Patrick’s Day 8K is right around the time I will finish the program. My son already runs in it so I’m thinking I will run the first 5K and walk the rest. There is also the Boardwalk Orange Crush 5K 3 weeks after that. Can’t be bad to run on the Boardwalk at the beach and then get rewarded with an Orange Crush at the finish line 😁
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Congratulations! I can't run any more and I sure miss it, but when I did run, I started with C25K.

Remember this piece of advice, especially if you're feeling like you can't lift your arms after that first run - if you think you're running slow? Run slower. Running is a gait, not a speed, and speed comes with time. Lots of time. In fact, a lot more time than it takes most people to complete C25K. If you've started this without having built a solid cardio foundation by already doing a lot of brisk walking, running very, very slowly will be essential. It's okay for your "run" pace to be close to a fast walking pace when you first start.

Good luck!

^^This.
  • Tayrr123
    Tayrr123 Posts: 4 Member
    Nice work! I think you've inspired me to find a new challenge!
  • greyparks206
    greyparks206 Posts: 165 Member
    edited December 2018
    Congratulations! I started C25k almost exactly a year ago. It took me a solid month of repeating the "Week 1, Day 1" exercise three times a week until I could actually run the segments it called for without intense pain in my shins and lungs. That was my wake-up call that I needed to get serious about losing weight and getting fit. Since then, I've lost 56 pounds, and now I'm training for a 10k! If I can do it, ANYONE can. Best of luck!
  • HokieBrad
    So....the rest of Week1 didn't go as planned. We had enough rain the 2nd half of the week I could have Couch to Kayak 5K... but running in 40 degree weather while raining isn't in my plan right now. I did supplement by doing body weight exercises...It will be back to the program this week. Going to redo Week 1...and hopefully the weather will be more cooperative this week!
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,046 Member
    kabrina30 wrote: »
    Congratulations! I can't run any more and I sure miss it, but when I did run, I started with C25K.

Remember this piece of advice, especially if you're feeling like you can't lift your arms after that first run - if you think you're running slow? Run slower. Running is a gait, not a speed, and speed comes with time. Lots of time. In fact, a lot more time than it takes most people to complete C25K. If you've started this without having built a solid cardio foundation by already doing a lot of brisk walking, running very, very slowly will be essential. It's okay for your "run" pace to be close to a fast walking pace when you first start.

Good luck!

Thank you for this! I did C25K last summer and was able to finish but I was running so slow. Like people could totally walk faster than I ran. A friend went with me a few times and would keep with me for a while and then snarkily say, "I'm going to actually jog now."

It was really discouraging when I'd been so proud of myself for being able to run without stopping. Your post gave me back some perspective! I plan on doing the program again in the spring and try to remember that speed doesn't matter as much as just getting it done!

Go for it! Not sure if your friend thought they were being funny, but that would have really hurt my feelings too! I am not fast be any means, but am so much faster than when I did C25K last year! The speed definitely comes with time! Most of C25K was me just trying to not walk and not feel like I was dying!!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    kabrina30 wrote: »

Good luck!

Thank you for this! I did C25K last summer and was able to finish but I was running so slow. Like people could totally walk faster than I ran. A friend went with me a few times and would keep with me for a while and then snarkily say, "I'm going to actually jog now."

It was really discouraging when I'd been so proud of myself for being able to run without stopping. Your post gave me back some perspective! I plan on doing the program again in the spring and try to remember that speed doesn't matter as much as just getting it done!

those are crappy friends