Put on muscles in 12 days?

huango
huango Posts: 1,007 Member
How much muscles can a 14 years old put on in 12 days?

Situation:
Freshman Son is 145-148#.
He's wrestling at 145# weight class.
He barely made weight for yesterday's meet.

I want him to move up to the next weight class 152#.
He has 12 days over Xmas break between his meets.

He's 14.5 years old.
5'5"
145-148#
13.5% body fat
can do 16 pullups
he's strong, not sure how much he can bench/deadlift, but he's been wrestling his buddy who is 175# for over a year.

He had his growth spurt at 11-13 years old (going from 4'7" to 5'5" and from 70# to 155#).
We are praying that he has some more growing to do (height-wise), so I want to make sure he's getting all the necessary nutrients.

Daddy is 5'9"
I'm 4'11".

I'm not happy with him having to worry about making 145.
I rather he eats lots and gain muscles with wriggle room in the 152 class, rather than worrying about having to drop weight.

Anyone have experience with wrestling and weight class choice, or weight training for competition (time is a factor), etc?

Really appreciate any thoughts, even coming as what would a Mother do...

Thank you.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I agree with @sijomial that results of actual hypertrophy will be minimal at best.

As a parent and a coach, I don't think it's wise to "make weight" for the sake of a class. Just being strongest possible and practice your sport to hone the skill is a much healthier approach especially for a non adult. I could make an exception if a record or the like was on the line.

Hope he does well in his meets.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    None?
    Days is really not long enough.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Lol days, if only....
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    huango wrote: »
    How much muscles can a 14 years old put on in 12 days?

Situation:
    Freshman Son is 145-148#.
    He's wrestling at 145# weight class.
    He barely made weight for yesterday's meet.

I want him to move up to the next weight class 152#.
    He has 12 days over Xmas break between his meets.

He's 14.5 years old.
    5'5"
    145-148#
    13.5% body fat
    can do 16 pullups
    he's strong, not sure how much he can bench/deadlift, but he's been wrestling his buddy who is 175# for over a year.

He had his growth spurt at 11-13 years old (going from 4'7" to 5'5" and from 70# to 155#).
    We are praying that he has some more growing to do (height-wise), so I want to make sure he's getting all the necessary nutrients.

Daddy is 5'9"
    I'm 4'11".

I'm not happy with him having to worry about making 145.
    I rather he eats lots and gain muscles with wriggle room in the 152 class, rather than worrying about having to drop weight.

Anyone have experience with wrestling and weight class choice, or weight training for competition (time is a factor), etc?

Really appreciate any thoughts, even coming as what would a Mother do...

Thank you.

what you want and what his body is capable of doing are 2 different things. eating a lot and gaining muscle? you know that with muscle growth also comes fat when you eat more than your TDEE? depending on how much he eats is going to depend on how much fat he gains which in 2 weeks either way isnt going to be a lot.weight also fluctuates so. you are basically asking for the impossible.
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    Why are you worried about him gaining weight? If he's barely making the cut at 145 and his weight fluctuates to 148 easily he's primed for the 152 class... as 152 is the MAX weight. It's really the 146-152 class. If he's 148 during the season and having trouble with making weight after doing all the things wrestlers do... (I wrestled all 4 years of high school) then it sounds like he's ready for the next class category. There really isn't a whole lot of wiggle room from 148 - 152. Heck, that's a large bowel movement and a tiny bit of constipation before the match. ;)

Thank you.
    I sent you a PM.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I'm really hoping that you're (the OP that is) typing this a concerned parent who wants their kid to go up in weight class as opposed to trying unrealistically to stay in the kid's prefered class. That's what I think I'm reading, I'm not sure though (given it appears not everyone is reading it that way).
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Well, no one has to starve dehydrate him/herself to meet weight cut points given the time of weigh-in; plan things out far ahead of time (there should be no nonsense of following what some of these MMA fighters embark in just to make weight for a competitive edge...many of which are only possible to make via severe dehydration & diuretic use on a frame that is simply too big despite low BF%).
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I have no advice. Wrestling sounds like a hard sport for a teenager to be in. I feel like a kid that young shouldn't have to be all concerned about his weight like that. :/
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    PM @huango