Taking a Yoga class for first time...pointers?

Options
Hi there,
I am taking a yoga class for the first time today. It's a beginner class. Any pointers for one and those who do yoga, what benefits to you get out of it?
Thanks

Replies

• Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Go with an open mind. You can look to your classmates for how to do poses, but don't worry if you aren't as strong or flexible, everyone's different and coming from a different place. Yoga is about not judging one another's abilities, showing up is enough.
    Instructors can be very different, if you don't like the one you have today, try another one.
    As far as what I get out of it, strength and flexibility, also peace of mind and learning how to relax.
    Have a great time! Post how it goes!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    my suggestion is to where comfortable clothes, maybe even mention to the studio it's your first class. don't be discouraged if you aren't as bendy or flexy as other people.

it has helped me stay mobile and avoid medications for my autoimmune disorder that includes stiff and painful joints.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ladies. I could definitely use the flexibility.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Introduce yourself to the instructor and give a brief description of and physical disabilities, permanent or temporary, and your fitness level.

Afterthought, I always give my instructor permission to touch me for positioning.

You didn’t say what type of yoga you are doing, but if it is a beginner class you will probably get shown the pose, and alternatives, then have to follow, make sure you have a good sight line.

Don’t move outside your comfort zone if you are not very flexible, that will come with time.

My SO is very long legged with tight hamstrings, and was thrilled when, after a couple months, he could touch his toes. He never even tried to do it initially, just slowly worked towards it.

Oh, and, I am used to doing faster moving classes, it took me 4-6 sessions to learn how to slow down and be calm.

Benefits. Flexibility, posture, balance, calmness.
    I find it a great complement to lifting.

Cheers, h.

ETA: please come back and tell us how it went.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    One specific clothing thing: Think about what your shirt will do if you bend over from the waist. If you tuck it, you want it to stay tucked. If you don't want to tuck it, you want it to stay in place so loose isn't that great a thing, unless you have an appropriate sports bra under. Stretchy bottoms, too, of course.

Also, not just yoga but any group class, a common thing is to feel like everyone else except the new person (i.e. you, or me ;) ) is really competent at this and so good and doesn't understand how awkward you/I feel. But they do: They were new once, too. It's OK.

Also, flatulence sometimes happens when we do bendy stuff. That's OK, too.

Have fun! :)