Why you gain weight if you eat more than your cut

Options

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Maintenance weight isn't a static number - it's more like maintenance weight range. Thus people shouldn't be fixated on a single number.

Unfortunately for some here, the weight gain experienced when returning to maintenance isn't limited to a "normal" level of stored glycogen and water. Those who pursue deficits that are greater than what's appropriate for their weight typically end up regaining a disproportionate amount of fat in the process - so much so that some return to their initial pre-intervention weight. Usually it's because people raise calories/decrease activity too suddenly and too much in correspondence with their recovering RMR/TDEE. Others, unfortunately will regain a lot of the fat regardless because they lost too much weight too rapidly.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Nothing to add except that when I first saw the thread title I had some lint in my eye and I thought the title was "Why you gain weight if you eat more than your cat" and all I could think was "WTF???"

Now I'm picturing the "don't eat more than your cat" diet sweeping MFP.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Nothing to add except that when I first saw the thread title I had some lint in my eye and I thought the title was "Why you gain weight if you eat more than your cat" and all I could think was "WTF???"

Not sure how many calories are in a cat but it's probably a good daily intake for a lot of people.
  • Kyllosis
    Kyllosis Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Wow, will deffo have to look in to this more later, thanks.
  • michaelmadonna
    michaelmadonna Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks for re-posting, I meant to save this the last time I read it but then couldn't find it again.
  • brixtonbanner
    brixtonbanner Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Not sure how many calories are in a cat but it's probably a good daily intake for a lot of people.
    cat_zps8a450dce.jpg
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

Such silly advice, it'd be better to tell people to ignore the scale vs giving advice how to stay at a certain weight after reversing up to maintenance

For the majority of MFP users this is not silly advice, it's exactly what they are looking for. Telling some people to ignore the scale is pointless because they are only interested in getting to a certain weight (even if that means skinny fat) Just because that doesn't apply to you doesn't give you the right to dismiss it entirely. Notice nearly everyone before you thanked the OP for the post?

*Thanks OP

the point is that the scale goes up and down. If someone wants to see a specific number everyday then that really ain't happening. You really want me to explain that? Nah.
    So going by scale weight isn't really all that realistic. That's why experts says look at the mirror. Take snaps. Take measurements. Otherwise all those things would be pretty pointless wouldn't they?
    People do eat don't they? The majority of MFP users eat everyday don't they? So the scale is bound to go up and down. And being stuck on a certain number isn't that realistic at all. Water weight, undigested food etc etc.
    Skinny fat, binge fat, bloating fat, bulking fat, cutting fat - nope none of that matter really.
    It's not dismissive at all. It's being realistic. So the sooner anyone learns to be realistic, the better it works at being happy in the long term.

You missed my point. People are on here for completely different reasons and a lot of them do go by the scale, it's OK saying "the sooner anyone learns to be realistic, the better it works at being happy in the long term." This could apply to all the 1200 and below calorie eaters who are adamant that their way is the only way that works for them, you'll never succeed in changing the minds of the majority of them.
    Some information out there is dangerous, this is not
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the original post, it is exactly what I've done and it works for me. I also have a 3-5 range of happy weight so I don't have to be neurotic about one specific number on the scale.
  • mpf1
    mpf1 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    tagging, thanks
  • Tendlr
    Tendlr Posts: 17
    Options
    bump to read later :)
  • slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    Options

The calories in cat meat varies just like beef, depending on fat content. An average 6 ounce serving has 250 calories.Do ! - See more at: http://www.chacha.com/question/how-many-calories-are-in-cat-meat#sthash.ivclcVmY.dpuf
  • RonKay
    RonKay Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Pretty valuable, I wouldn't live by it, but it should hopefully stop people panicking that they're just putting fat back on!
  • I have heard this before. I think I am pretty much at a good weight and size right now, but have been cautious about going into 'maintenance' mode just yet, as I can see me putting weight back on (especially as I only had 10lb to lose in the first place).

You have confirmed what I thought and I will continue to overshoot, and try and lose an extra 5lb. I think I will look a bit too thin for me, but good that I know I can maintain back to what I am now.

Thanks for the science x

Also to add my own bit of science, don't forget Cortisol. Cortisol is a stress horemone that makes you store belly fat (for similar reasons that you just said... when we are stressed we need more reserves). Although exercise is a great way to beat stress in general, if you hard-core train, it physically stresses your body and you may end up with a bit of a pooch (again, something marathon runners experience).

I keep my Cortisol levels in check by long dynamic yoga sessions. They really push the body and help with endurance, muscle tone and flexibility, but the controlled breathing means that Cortisol levels do not rise.
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    This is good stuff!! Thanks!!
  • skullik
    skullik Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • SpencersKid
    Options
    Thank you!
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    The glycogen 5 lb gain was something I hadn't read before. Thank you!!! Stuff makes a LOT of sense right now.
  • skullik
    skullik Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Bump!