What is a good target weight ?

Options
in a year and a half, i went from 235 to about 195 now, I'm 26 and I'm 5' 11, Im not really sure what my goal should be, originally it was just to get under 200lbs. Now that I've done that it's clear that I still have weight too loose but I'm not sure what I should be shooting for as a healthy target weight.

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    ideally talk to your doctor if possible.

for me i aimed to be in healthy weight on the BMI index. I hit that recently and sorta gonna stabilize at a round number (125) for a bit then see. I'm going thru some knee issues which will impact exercise so i may need to sit at maintenance to remain at a decent calorie amount. i may look at trying to get to 120, we shall see. I am at like 126 now. (for reference i am a 37 year old female, 5'1 on a good day).

but my doctor said i was fine at 136 ish when i last saw her.
  • ObviousPanda
    ObviousPanda Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would look up the BMI weight range for normal weight and go from there. That’s what I did.
  • LadySaton
    LadySaton Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    It looks like the healthy BMI range for your height is around 134-179lbs. However, that’s just a very broad range to work with. If you are very muscular or want to be very muscular you’d maybe want a higher weight within that range than if you wanted to be more on the lean side of the spectrum.

A lot of people just start working their way down until they are happy. Doing strength training can change the appearance of your body considerably without actually changing your weight a lot.

Don’t consider just how you look today though. Consider whether you want to put in the effort on maintaining what you achieve. Personally, I’ll never get to the “ideal weight” because I know how much work I would have to do daily to maintain that and I don’t want to! 🤣 I’ll find a healthy weight that leaves me with maintenance calories enough to satisfy and that I can support with 4-5 30 minute exercise sessions a week because it’s the work I’m willing to put in.