Gaining muscle at 51 yrs old

150lbs 5'7", eating 1800 calories currently. Lift 3 days, 2 days cardio. I'd like to build muscle, I fear eating more and gaining too much fat due to my thyroid (on meds for it.) Also, desk job.

Hoping to get good feed back here,
Thanks

Replies

• billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Of course you can. The book "Starting Strength" (Rippetoe) brought new life to my weightlifting hobby years ago. I'm hopeful to break into the 1000 lb club next year at age 50. Heavy, barbell, compound lifts are the way to save time in the gym and get stronger. Hugh Jackman (Woverine) hit the 1000 lb club at age 48 or so and he's my height and weight. This is where my idea started... if an actor can do it, surely and ordinary dude can too!
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    If you’re on medication for your thyroid then you don’t need to worry about it if you’re supplementing it. I would suggest though just being at your age getting a hormone panel done to check your testosterone levels. In terms of fat can just keep it a slight surplus at 250 cal to 500 surplus so you don’t get excess fat yet you’re still creating a more anabolic environment. Also get on a credible program and track your lifts
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    Uhm... I am surprised nobody has pointed out that 1800 calories is really really low! That's probably very close to your BMR (basal metabolic rate) which is what it takes you to survive with no changes if you were 100% sedentary... like bedridden.
  • keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    Yeah. what he said on the cals. I'm 58 and have been doing the Wendler 5/3/1 for the past couple months. 3X per week. I'm always at or near 3000 calories. (I run 3x per week too).

Cals and Protein.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Uhm... I am surprised nobody has pointed out that 1800 calories is really really low! That's probably very close to your BMR (basal metabolic rate) which is what it takes you to survive with no changes if you were 100% sedentary... like bedridden.

That's what I was thinking, I eat more than that and I'm only 5ft 2.
  • trdrsix0s
    trdrsix0s Posts: 11 Member
    Imho youre not going ti gsin much muscle on 1800 calories a day. Maybe sime newbee gains but thats questionable.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    edited December 2018
    Seems like your fear of gaining some fat is a bit irrational. If you have the willpower to limit yourself to 1800 calories a day, lifting 3x a week, and cardio 2x a week- you're a stud. A little fat gain would be simple enough to handle.

I say hit the weights via "Starting Strength" and up the calories/protein and see what happens.
  • SurvivalistDad
    SurvivalistDad Posts: 2 Member
    It depends on what that 1800 calorie count is composed of. I’ve been putting on muscle on slightly less than that at 49. Minimal sugar, lots of protein, legumes, oatmeal etc.

Could I put on more muscle with a larger calorie count with the same effort? Sure. But I’m counterbalancing heart healthy diet with a (under control) cholesterol issue.
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Sounds low.
    I'm barely maintaining on 2000 calories a day.
    Female, 5'6, 47, around 125 lbs (beginner) lifting 4 days a week and 30 minutes cardio on the other 3 days.
    Currently running a small bulk at 2400 calories a day.
    Shows you can probably eat a bit more to gain muscle without gaining fat.

Good luck.
  • SurvivalistDad
    SurvivalistDad Posts: 2 Member
    I pick my proteins wiser these days. In my younger days, I had the luxury not to worry about cholesterol in say a half dozen eggs or the whole milk in endless protein shakes or red meat proteins, and load up that way. Not so today...

How do I measure muscle gain? New maxes tracked in Fitbod. ;)

I didn’t mean to hijack OP post, just saying it can be done with a lot of attention to what you’re putting in the gullet.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Fitbod will help you measure strength gains but that =/= muscle mass gains, eg hypertrophy. Strength gains come from neuromuscular adaptations. Doesn't mean you gained muscle mass though. At your calorie level for you to gain muscle mass, you would have to be obese or a newbie or returner to training.