BMR Calculations

Hello,

I have tried using a couple BMR calculators to find my caloric intake etc etc but I am getting a lot of different results. Some say 1700 - 1800 and some say 2000 - 2500

Is there an actual accurate one, that will factor in how many times I workout and type or job? I'm on my feet all day working in a warehouse and I'm at the gym 8 times a week so I feel like 1700 is too low but 2500 seems high.

So, is there a tried and true BMR calculator out there or are they all kinda just guessing?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    edited December 2018
    Well, if you track your calorie intake carefully for a month or so and your weight remains stable, you will have your answer. It is all trial and error.

ETA. You could pay money for a metabolic test.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    But do you want to know your BMR or your TDEE? From your description it's not BMR.

BMR is just the base calories (equivalent to being completely at rest in a fasted state) that you need to add an activity and exercise multiplier, or in the case of MyFitnessPal apply an activity multiplier and exercise is accounted for separately.

Be aware they are estimates and even if completely accurate inaccurate logging can make them appear inaccurate.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    But do you want to know your BMR or your TDEE? From your description it's not BMR.

BMR is just the base calories (equivalent to being completely at rest in a fasted state) that you need to add an activity and exercise multiplier, or in the case of MyFitnessPal apply an activity multiplier and exercise is accounted for separately.

Be aware they are estimates and even if completely accurate inaccurate logging can make them appear inaccurate.

Good point.
  • TimothyRHauck
    TimothyRHauck Posts: 4 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

I agree, very good point. I will look at TDEE numbers and get an idea of where I should be at and go from there. Thanks!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,836 Member
    Why not just use what mfp gives you and take it from there? if you want to lose weight then chose a reasonable rate of loss, and eat part of potential exercise calories back. It's a lot of guesswork as everyone IS different, but you'll get a feel for your own numbers after a month, or maybe earlier.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    sailrabbit.com gives you a number of the different TDEE formulae to give you an idea of a good start point.
    After a month of consistent logging you will be able to adjust based on your actual results.