Trail runners: what do you carry with you?

2»

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    The trails I usually run are in a state park. They are well maintained and traveled so I don’t carry much. I do have a small handheld taser because I am a woman alone on the trails often early morning. Other than that I only have what fits on my running belt - car key, chapstick, cell phone, and a bite size candy for when I finish my run.
  • What do you guys carry all this in? Can I see some pics of all this stuff packed in your bag? Like do you run with a book bag on? I need answers.
  • twatson4936
    twatson4936 Posts: 121 Member
    Depends on the length of the run. I mostly train for 5k so I usually just carry a phone and headphones. On my runs that last over an hour I carry water and something for energy, usually a tangerine Gu.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    What do you guys carry all this in? Can I see some pics of all this stuff packed in your bag? Like do you run with a book bag on? I need answers.

I'd like to know also (this is an interesting thread). Do you carry all this in a hydration pack? I'm sure chafing could be an issue on longer runs - plus it would be annoying for a pack to be flopping around. I suppose if a load shifted in some situations it could be dangerous. Anyway - fun thread.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    they make trailpack bags that are engineered for minimal chafing. some hydration packs are also trail packs.

my trails are heavily trafficked and i'm usually not more than a 5k away from my car. trails are loops. so i carry food, water, keys, phone, dog bags.
    in my car, first aid kit(till it was stolen) and knife (till it was stolen). need to replace those.
    if i go to further out trails, i will likely bring a whistle, blanket, maybe hat, gloves, scarf. wipes, water tabs, flint, and led light, and more food. and first aid kit from car
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    What do you guys carry all this in? Can I see some pics of all this stuff packed in your bag? Like do you run with a book bag on? I need answers.

https://www.inov-8.com/trail-running/equipment/packs-bags/race-elite-vesttm-with-bottles

That's mine. It's designed for ultra running
  • furmickc
    furmickc Posts: 43 Member
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EWJHS5U/ref=twister_B00H1LAM4A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 This is what I use on longer runs. It's pretty minimalist, as far as packs go, but it meets my needs.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    For day hikes I use this:

5.11 RUSH MOAB™ 6 SLING PACK 11L

927ngizkxwvw.png
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited December 2018
    Large fanny pack. I make sure to have chemical warmers, ankle wrap, small emergency bivy, change of socks, and extra jacket at the least.

Rescue takes longer than you might think in even optimal conditions. Had a woman break an ankle once...tried to hike pipeline (quickest route to road) to pick her up (didn't know it was actually broken)..when she couldn't go any further with about 800 meters left, had to call the sheriff (we all had sedans/sports/subcompact cars - no SUVs) for help. ..took hours (possibly only 1 hour and just seemed longer while standing there shivering..not sure) and it got quite cold and dark while they mobilized all-the-things (Did I mention their HQ was in the same park).

ETA: + whistle & fruit snacks, as usual.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    mine is an older model from this company: https://outdoorproducts.com/collections/waist-packs
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    edited December 2018
    I always have water -more than I think I will need, a silver blanket (you never know -you could get stuck overnight -or get injured -you then get cold real fast), some sort of energy -maple syrup is my go to, salt pills, and my phone, a whistle as there are often bears in the area. As well, I make sure someone knows which trail I'm on and how long I expect to be gone.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited December 2018
    For anywhere from 5k-13k trail runs I wear a “Bandi” belt and in it I carry:
    • An old expired drivers license
    • A whistle
    • 3 hard caramel candies
    • 3 salt packets
    • a mini tin of beeswax salve with a tiny mirror glued on the bottom of it
    • couple of folded paper towels
    • mini pepper spray
    • couple of band-aids
    • $20 bill
    • iphone in a waterproof case
    • car keys in a little ziplock bag
    • headphones

If I bring water it’s in one or two hand-held water bottles, I rarely wear a hat or cap unless it’s cold/raining, always have my Xero sandals with me even if I’m barefooting just in case, always sunglasses unless I’m running at night. I live in Northern Ca so the weather here isn’t super extreme but I still check the weather report to see what to anticipate. I always tell someone my route and expected timeline.

Happy trail running/hiking to all! :)