New, eager and very overwhelmed.

Options
Hey guys! I'm here and I'm SO excited to start my weight loss journey.

Like most people, I've been on and off trying to lose weight with trend diets and massive restrictions and ridiculously long workouts.

This time I'm going to try something different, what exactly that is, I'm not really sure.

I've got about 150lbs to go!

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    welcome
    I kept it simple. i didn't eliminate a food group or do anything fancy. Or push for too extreme a loss. My "diet" is something that I will maintain for my lifetime (hopefully) with just bumping up my calories to "maintenance level" vs "slow loss" level.

I got a food scale, weighted and log my food and followed the recommendation of ...well at the time my dietitian but this time around just what MFP recommended for a reasonable loss.

From there i worked to find foods that worked for me. Everyone is a bit different on how they like to eat (eat fewer times but bigger meals, eat more often but smaller meals, eat more FAT or more Carbs or more protein. For me, i like volume. I include lots of raw veggies as they give me good bang for my calorie buck. I also tend towards higher protein and slightly lower fat (though now that my stomach is used to more reasonable amount i am working in more fat into my diet as it was a bit too low fat). I also prefer eating more often (i eat 6x a day) so this on most days means smaller meals to allow a better spread of calories.

I also like my chocolate and desserts. So I work those into my daily diet as well :)
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    Go to the "Getting Started" board. The very first pinned thread is "Adopt a Noob" (entry to paired threads for linking potential mentors and mentees. Read the opening post on how to contact a potential mentor, then take a look at the mentor profiles . When you find a good match of description of what one is offering / what you are willing and/or able to do, follow the guidelines to make contact.

(BTW, I am NOT in the Mentor program, so don't look for me ... but I have made it a bit of a mission to point people who are just starting towards this resource)