Walking help?

Options
Hi,
My name is Heather. I have been walking for a while now and I'm wondering if I'm doing this right.
I weight 161lbs. 4 ft 8in tall.
I live in a trailer park permanently and I have no room to stretch at all. I can't change my route at all due to the size of the park. 1 walk with 2lb weights every time except for when I'm sore. I walk 5 times a week 4 laps =1.5 miles, heart rate 112 bpm. 2 times a week 3 laps = 1 mile 110 bpm heart rate. 2 laps = .8 miles. 3 laps = 1 mile. If I'm sore I walk 1 lap = .3 miles. 2 times a month with non consecutive weeks I run splitting 4 laps 6 meters. When I walk 4 laps my time is 40 minutes. When I walk 3 laps my time is 30 minutes. Running for longer than 10 meters makes my hips hurt so I don't do any more. I'm trying to lose weight. Does anyone know of a better way to set up my walking? Or a new way to do it?
Please and thank you for answering.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you need to focus on what you eat. Walking is great for your health but doesn't burn that many calories. You are currently walking about 2 miles an hour for 45 minutes. That is a very good start. Can you walk longer? Is it possible to walk at a brisker pace? Can you walk outside the park? I would think it gets very boring doing the same loops over and over. Varying your routine will make it more interesting. Maybe do 45 minutes some days and 60 on others. Keep your 30 minute walks as well. Find new places to go.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    @tenkides How much are you eating? Do you record your food and track your calories? If you can't increase your exercise, you'll need to decrease your food.
  • tenkides
    tenkides Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I track through the app. I usually eat 1000 calories but I have a max for 1500 calories.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    tenkides wrote: »
    I track through the app. I usually eat 1000 calories but I have a max for 1500 calories.

Are you weighing everything you're eating? Either way, 1,000 calories is too few calories.
  • tenkides
    tenkides Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm trying very hard to raise it with protein stuff I'm getting closer in that way.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Most of my walking is utility walking ... transportation.

If you're not doing that already, that might be a new way to do it. Walk to work. Walk to university. Walk to get groceries, etc.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Your walking plan is fine. Personally i would do several shorter walks per day. For example 15 minutes 3 times a day, or 10 minutes 6 times a day. Shorter sessions are less stressful on the body, and will leave you with more energy & less hunger.

By the way, most trainers recommend not holding weights while walking or running, since it can cause injuries. The extra calories burned is tiny. :+1:
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I would ditch the weights but I think your walking is fine. Keep building on what you can do as its good for your health and it will give you a few extra calories to play with.

You can lose weight without doing any exercise at all. But at 4’8” your calorie goal is going to be quite low so sticking to that might be difficult without some exercise to give you a few extra calories to work with.