Hey. Chefs life. Must change.

Options
Hey folks.
Time to start doing something about my health.

Diabetic, and have been a while now. Uncontrolled. Type 2.
Was at the docs a few days ago, and was informed I have high cholesterol. To the number of 12.
And told out of all his patients this week, I’m the one he is most worried about.

So that brings me here.
Started logging my food on Tuesday. Love the way it works.
My eating habits are out of wacky because of my work. I’m a chef. And work long hard days. Don’t eat and just pick at whatever is lying in kitchen.

So yeah. Hi everyone.

Replies

• stanlfink
    stanlfink Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hey, thebigyin1984, feel free to add me as a friend. I was prediabetic and reversed it.
  • TheBigYin1984
    TheBigYin1984 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    stanlfink wrote: »
    Hey, thebigyin1984, feel free to add me as a friend. I was prediabetic and reversed it.

Think I’ve sent one :smiley:

• TheBigYin1984
    Options
    Thanks for the welcomes.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    Welcome fellow Chef! 😊
  • TheBigYin1984
    Options
    Welcome fellow Chef! 😊
    Thank you Chef :blush:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard. When I was cooking for work I'd nibble way too much but being on my feet kept me slim back then. I too recently was pre-diabetic but sorted that out. Walking & lower unrefined carbs helped. Not sure what else I did right since I was doing everything I could think of since my cholesterol was up too high as well and also good now. Stay around, read as much as you can from the people that did great and you'll be fine too. You just have to make the effort. Not easy.. I know.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I'm not a chef, but I am a T2 diabetic. I can't imagine having to face food on a regular basis (I also do intermittent fasting). This is a great place for a start, welcome to the boards!
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Welcome Chef! Small changes can make a hudge differance on our health and well being. You got this by simply being here. I cant wait to see the positive healthy changes this endeavor will give you. Cheers!!
  • TheBigYin1984
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »
    I know it's hard. When I was cooking for work I'd nibble way too much but being on my feet kept me slim back then. I too recently was pre-diabetic but sorted that out. Walking & lower unrefined carbs helped. Not sure what else I did right since I was doing everything I could think of since my cholesterol was up too high as well and also good now. Stay around, read as much as you can from the people that did great and you'll be fine too. You just have to make the effort. Not easy.. I know.

Carbs are my downfall. And always have been. Mainly pasta and rice.
  • ugottafriend
    ugottafriend Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I reversed my A1C with diet alone, as I have muscular dystrophy and can't really exercise. Carbs are my downfall too. I took an Italian cooking course and love pasta way too much! I have a paper journal for "major goals" and "mini goals". The mini goals can be little decisions (no soda today, smaller serving of pasta, etc) you make each day to achieve your major goals (improving your A1C, lower cholesterol). I try to meal plan but I'm bad at sticking to it, so I've learned to take one day/hour at a time. Best of luck to you!
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Hey folks.

Was at the docs a few days ago, and was informed I have high cholesterol. To the number of 12.
    And told out of all his patients this week, I’m the one he is most worried about.

So that brings me here.
    My eating habits are out of wacky because of my work. I’m a chef. And work long hard days. Don’t eat and just pick at whatever is lying in kitchen.

So yeah. Hi everyone.

Wow. You have both an advantage and disadvantage.

I can't imagine how hard it is to work in the food industry with that struggle. Yet, with the knowledge you have you are in a prime position to use your skills in making healthy yet satisfying dishes... unless you are a fry chef or pastry chef. I expect that could add extra difficulty.

I am certain there is likely some measure of tasting when preparing dishes. If I am right give yourself a buffer to allow for that. Stop picking though. That's going to be the biggest thing.

If I were in your position, I would create a pre-measured series of snacks that are balanced. If you "pick" 8 times a day normally, make 8 small snacks, Instead of picking, grab one of your snacks to eat. If you do allow yourself to sometimes pick at work (and I would still recommend avoiding that), try to limit it to fresh veggies and perhaps fresh fruit, but try to log what you eat.

What style of cooking do you do (as a chef)?

And hi to you too....
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I started on this lifestyle change because my cholesterol was a hot mess and I ended up being allergic to statins so I had no choice but to change my eating habits to lower my cholesterol. Prepping and planning became my life and probably saved it as well. Oh and exercise... I started off simply taking a lunch walk 5 days a week for 25 minutes. Doesn't have to be too crazy just needs to be consistent... You TOTALLY got this!!
  • TheBigYin1984
    Options

So yeah. Hi everyone.

Hey there, Chef...I'm a chef, too, and I totally get it. 12-16 hour days on your feet, and that chicken tender fresh out of the fryer is handy!

I've got a few tips that helped me out when I was starting off...maybe they'll help you, too...

1. Think of yourself as your own catering job: You are a client that needs two boxed lunches every day. What are you going to do on Sundays (or Mondays, whatever your prep day is) to prep out for those lunches? Because my schedules were so wacky, I would take an evening, and prep out a pot of soup, a casserole of some sort, and then roast a sheet pan of chicken, and another sheet pan of veggies. Get it sorted into containers, and just grab two each day as I headed out the door. Prepping in advance of meals is what we DO, and we have the training, and knife skills to make it quick and easy!

2. Portioning is another skill we use in the kitchen, otherwise our costs go through the roof, and we lose money. Think of portioning as a tool to ration your calories...I'm sure you've got a set of scoops and a digital scale at home, which will make portioning super fast, and convenient. At this stage of the game, it's okay to have seconds (or even thirds), but understanding -and being honest with yourself - about what you are eating and how much is going to be a key skill later in the game...!

3. Baby steps are perfectly fine. I started off by setting a goal of drinking 64oz water each day. I ate what I wanted and didn't make any effort to get to the gym, but made sure I drank enough water. At the end of two weeks, I had lost 8lbs. Then I set another goal; walking 1/2 mile each day and drink 64 oz water. At the end of the two weeks, I had lost another 6lbs. Etc, etc, etc. Choose your baby steps, and go slow so each goal becomes a habit. Trying to go all in all at once (especially with our schedules) is a recipe for disaster!

Feel free to friend me, and we can get through this together!

Lots of good advice. Thank you.
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Hey folks.

So that brings me here.

So yeah. Hi everyone.

Wow. You have both an advantage and disadvantage.

I can't imagine how hard it is to work in the food industry with that struggle. Yet, with the knowledge you have you are in a prime position to use your skills in making healthy yet satisfying dishes... unless you are a fry chef or pastry chef. I expect that could add extra difficulty.

I am certain there is likely some measure of tasting when preparing dishes. If I am right give yourself a buffer to allow for that. Stop picking though. That's going to be the biggest thing.

If I were in your position, I would create a pre-measured series of snacks that are balanced. If you "pick" 8 times a day normally, make 8 small snacks, Instead of picking, grab one of your snacks to eat. If you do allow yourself to sometimes pick at work (and I would still recommend avoiding that), try to limit it to fresh veggies and perhaps fresh fruit, but try to log what you eat.

What style of cooking do you do (as a chef)?

And hi to you too....

Hi John.
    The restaurant I am in at the minute is primarily a steak house. So lots of nice big cuts of red meat!
    Also do fish, salads few pasta dishes and other fare.

What I do for a job should make it easy. But it's really down to working the long days. Then not being in the mood, or be bothered to cook.

It's like @teresamwhite said above.
    I'm going to have to prepout.
    Started today by making a big pot of soup. Nice Mediterranean style veg soup.

Mediterranean soup... Sounds good.

I understand your dillema. I work with Computers all day. I get home and never feel like properly taking care of my problems having dealt with computer issues all day. I also hate having to cook after a long day, though I love to cook. What I ended up doing was making most of the meals on a weekend, portioning and freezing. I guess that's prepping out as was suggested. As for me, it helps a lot. I am having Chicken Mushroom Barley I made a couple weekends ago today for lunch. It was already portioned and frozen, so I know my caloric intake already. I did add a piece of Walpack Inn bread I baked this weekend since bread goes well with soup. Also, I have my dinner planned and ready as well (homemade Lasagna - well my mom made that for me since I'm helping her out). I already have the portion recorded. Makes my planning easier.

Don't know too many good steakhouses where I am right now, though there are 2 great ones near where my house is. Also been to many in Texas when I was sent there to work. My favorite closed though. Rare to Medium Rare please... :smile: