Working out with severe sciatica

bootyrubsandtacos
bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
edited December 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I’ve been dealing with pretty severe sciatica in both my legs for the past 3 months. I stretch, take naproxen, muscle relaxants, and nothing really seems to help. It gets irritated VERY easily. I’m going to my PCP tomorrow to ask for a referral to see a pain management dr.

I haven’t worked out in about two weeks, because the pain is so intense. It strange though, because it doesn’t hurt while I’m working out. It’s starts to hurt after I’m done. But honestly it still hurts even when I don’t workout. I haven’t noticed a difference in pain severity since I stopped. I actually think working out makes me less stiff. The worst part is the SPASMS. I could just be walking or bending over and a excruciating spasm will just “grab” me out of nowhere. I don’t know if I should just keep working out or not. Has anyone dealt with similar issues?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Do the doctor’s appointment first, decide afterwards.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,255 Member
    Hi. Similar situation here but only on the right side. I finally saw a pain doc who gave me a cortisone shot. Whoooboy! Made me feel almost 90% better almost immediately.

But, boohoo, he told me to stop with the squats, deadlifts, and overhead presses - anything that would compress my spine. (My issue is that the sciatica is caused in part by a herniated disc). He told me to stop them -for now - even though I told him in the moment nothing hurts - no. move. I. perform. hurts - I told him!!!! Sigh. What a bummer. What would hurt is when i sat up in bed and drove. I could barely get a good nights sleep.

Nevertheless, I’m going to take his advice, and see his chiro and physical therapist. I will also see an acupuncturist only because I want to attack this pain for good and throw everything at it.

Wish you well!

• Emerald_Warrior
    Emerald_Warrior Posts: 238 Member
    Sciatica is one of the worst pains I've experienced. Dealt with it for years and finally began seeing a chiropractor. I highly recommend it.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    I've had sciatic nerve pain go away on its own (time, rest, gentle movement) and also not go away on its own. For the latter, I saw my doctor and got pain meds and a referral for physical therapy. I also went to the chiropractor and started yoga. All of these together helped, but it took a long time to unpack all the underlying stiffness and tightness. By "a long time," I mean it's been 1.5 years and I still have to keep up with my PT exercises and yoga or it will come back.
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    edited December 2018
    It’s such a stubborn condition 🙄 @TanyaHooton I’ve actually started doing stretches and it actually helps take the edge off. It helps way more then the meds that’s for sure. I try to do them at least 4 times a day. What did the chiropractor do?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    doctor should be able to advise you.
    you can try a chiropractor.
    most people who i know have it, stretch/do yoga for relief
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    The chiropractor worked on my spine. I am not exactly sure what he did other than a series of adjustments. When I started going I was in awful pain; my hip hurt, my leg hurt, my knee hurt. It was all sciatic nerve pain. He had me coming every MWF for two weeks, then once a week for a month, then we moved down to two weeks. I only go now once every 4 or 6 weeks. He gave me exercises to do at home and approved of yoga, so I did those.

My doctor gave me prescription Advil and a referral for PT. I did not think PT helped at all when I went through it, but even after I was released I kept up with exercises and little by little, it did help in a large way. I have to keep up with them (to keep my core strong) and the yoga to keep my bones in working order, but the commitment is a small price to pay to not be in pain and no longer take pain meds (and avoid steroid shots and even surgery).