Keto and Carb Help Needed, Please

Good morning MFP,

I'm scheduled for my first carb nite tonight (day 14), and maybe do Keto for the rest of this week, or two more weeks, then get off. This is getting very taxing, physically and mentally. And I miss my veggies a ton. I mean, I can probably go longer, but I need to be back on regular carb levels by mid-September for convenience and energy's sake.

I've had a hard time with this b/c of my coconut oil allergy and egg/dairy intolerances (which fiddled around with during Keto, still a no-go), so fat has come from nuts, salmon and oil.

I tried IF this morning to wait until 4pm to start my carb nite but I just couldn't do it, I felt awful. I finally ate 1/2 cup nuts a few minutes ago. I heard women do best with IF but not for me. So I'll keep my normal Keto diet and then switch to low fat/high carb just for the night or should I stay low fat all day?

I read that to introduce re-introduce carbs I would increase by 20g (I'm assuming net) a week until I reach my goal (which is 100g net a week). So that should be about a month from now. Would this be a safe method that prevents weight gain?

Diary code is 6784. Thanks for the help guys!

Replies

• stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Crikey how complicated!

IF is easier for men not women. And many people find it impossible if they are already doing a highly restrictive diet plan. Too much taken out for too long, becomes untenable. Maybe that's why you found it hard.
  • RubyRunner14
    RubyRunner14 Posts: 148 Member
    I'd imagine. All these symptoms crumbling on me make it hard. Thanks for the input.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    I think you're struggling because you're not in optimal ketosis -- I'd guess that all the nuts and protein are preventing it. One of the hallmarks of ketosis is being able to effortlessly skip meals because your body is already burning fat primarily for fuel.

I'd forget about a carb night, add back in all of the veggies you miss to your diet right now and then gradually increase your carbs until you reach a level you're happy with. You're going to gain water weight regardless of how slowly you reintroduce carbs back into your diet though, there's no avoiding that.

Concentrate on your calorie deficit for weight loss -- there's no need to torture yourself with a diet you don't enjoy and can't wait to be done with.
  • mushroomsontoast
    mushroomsontoast Posts: 118 Member
    Concentrate on your calorie deficit for weight loss -- there's no need to torture yourself with a diet you don't enjoy and can't wait to be done with.

^^ I'd have to agree with this. RR you know I'm all for low-carb and happily eat that way myself, but it isn't for everyone and you do sound truly unhappy. With dairy being a no-no you're hindered from the start post.
    I'd start by re-introducing your veggies & focus on calories; by all means moderate your carbs too, but at a level you're happy with, can live with in the long term and that works for you.
    Good luck, hope you're feeling better very soon :smile:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    I think you're struggling because you're not in optimal ketosis -- I'd guess that all the nuts and protein are preventing it. One of the hallmarks of ketosis is being able to effortlessly skip meals because your body is already burning fat primarily for fuel.

I'd forget about a carb night, add back in all of the veggies you miss to your diet right now and then gradually increase your carbs until you reach a level you're happy with. You're going to gain water weight regardless of how slowly you reintroduce carbs back into your diet though, there's no avoiding that.

Very sensible advice :drinker:
    I'm meant to be a low-carber for life (medical reasons) I've recently cut out nuts as I think my over-indulgence in them has caused a tortuous 4 wk stall. Since you have additional dietary restrictions making keto complicated, I'd weigh carefully if simply keeping a caloric deficit wouldn't serve you better. :drinker:
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    I don't know why that person said IF works better for men than for women, because all my research shows the opposite... I would say that if you are going to do IF fasting, you need to start slowly... For me I am starting out by having my eating period between 7:00 AM - 7 PM (I get up pretty early for work) I know some people do something like eating between 12 noon and 6/7 PM and fasting the other hours. & I would personally continue to eat veggies because those are good for you!! Especially the green and leafy ones :)
  • CARBLEGEND
    CARBLEGEND Posts: 47 Member
    wow...so many issues here. CARB UP FOR LIFE...HEY...I DID ALL THAT KETO CRAP AND IT IS THE UNHEALTHIEST BUNCH OF CRAP EVER DEVISED...I also love and enjoy IF..you gotta know how to do it however,,,,16 hour fast window and 8 hour eating for starters then the body adapts quickly so play with the windows!! eat lots of sugar!! trust me fruits veggies starches pasta rice bread cereal..and you will feel great energized lean and powerful!
    The Legend
  • RubyRunner14
    RubyRunner14 Posts: 148 Member
    Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

The main reason I went into this is because I've been stalled since January. I was at a plateau up until maybe July (after trying bulking (which helped)) when I did some fitness DVDs, lost a little, but I never improved after that. So I did Keto and I finally saw improvement, it was like a checkered flag at the home stretch for me.

A lot of people say nuts hinder them but I'm still under 25 net most days... I'm guessing that nuts themselves are the cause, not the number?

I definitely feel better eating my veggies... my stomach has been bubbling and doing summersalts lately, my head's been hurting, too. Today felt like I went through another whole induction period. I'm glad I tried it though, I saw results that I hope are here to stay.

I'll start adding in some veggies tonight -- thanks very much for the help guys.
  • People make losing weight way harder than it has to be. In reality it is very easy to lose weight as long as you are willing to cut some things out of your diet and do a little exercise. If you're serious about losing weight, gaining muscle or even gaining a little bit of weight, check out this FaceBook fanpage to a product called Smack Fat. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to message me on there. Good luck on your journey to a healthier lifestyle :)https://www.facebook.com/pages/Smack-Fat/632563173443693 P.S I have a discount link to the product on the same Facebook. If you still can't find it then just send me a message and I'll be willing to give it to you there. Again, good luck!