Liquid diet

Options

Replies

• crisma1974
    crisma1974 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Liquid diet? Noooooooo. I would be the meanest person on this earth if I did that. I do have smoothies for snacks or when I am on the run but they are not my main meal.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    That sounds like torture. It's already difficult trying to stay within my calorie intake, I can't imagine not eating too.
  • vgentile990
    vgentile990 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Not sustainable
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    For some people, like those with crohn's disease, ostomy tube, gastroparesis (that's me), or who have recently had surgery, a liquid diet or low residue diet may be their only choice. Please don't criticize them. The advice was just asked, not a request for "do you want to go on a liquid diet" . So to the original poster, I will say this: try several different brands until you find one that works for you. That you can drink without becoming nauseous, that doesn't cause a spike in blood glucose, that is nutrient dense but not necessarily calorie dense, and that you can afford. If you are having to take this for medical reasons, it is likely your doctor can write you a prescription for it, and your health insurance will pay for part of the cost. What works for me is glucerna, carnation instant breakfast sugar free, atkins shakes, and protein power (but you have to be careful with that one, as too much protein is very bad for the kidneys). I hope that helps. If I can help further, please send me a message.

I actually very specifically touched on the fact that there could be a medical reason to be on a liquid diet. Hence the, "unless your doctor has prescribed this for you" sort of language.