Weight gain in your 30s...

Options
Good morning everyone! My metabolism has changed drastically within the last 4 years. I'm 37 now and have gained 30lbs within the last 4 years. It's not due to lifestyle as I'm a fitness director and work in a gym. Does anyone relate to this? A drastic gain of body fat and slow metabolism?

Replies

• alohadanielle
    alohadanielle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do! I’m also 37 and have seen drastic changes in my body. I have had two babies via csection in the last year and a half. I signed up for mfp to help me lose the weight and I am so frustrated to. It see the scale budging!
  • kimkimcoleman
    kimkimcoleman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    OMG, yes! I'm 39 and I've been gaining so fast the last year. I've gained more than 10 pounds since June, this has never happened to me in my life, it totally sucks and I have yet to get it under control :(
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    I definitely noticed it being easier to gain weight as I got into my 30's. In my early 30's I lost about 25 lbs and kept it off for a couple of years before work stress and, frankly, lack of attention to my diet caused me to gain it all back. It felt like it came on overnight! I know it didn't but it was just so easy to gain it all back. This time around I have lost 41 lbs so far but it has been a much slower road than when I lost weight previously. It definitely never fell off!! I am exercising so much more now, and am probably in the best shape I have ever been, but that has been necessary for me to see the loss I wanted!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Beginning in my late 30's my weight began to creep up about 5lbs and then once I hit 40, I rapidly gained another 10 or so. But I really did become more sedentary and was eating a lot of highly caloric foods like cheese and nuts.
  • KKSW1981
    KKSW1981 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. Yes... Metabolism slows down as we age. And the ridiculous thing is it seems like the hunger increases. I believe this has something to do with estrogen. But in any events it just seems like we cannot eat any junk at all. LOL.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. Yes... Metabolism slows down as we age. And the ridiculous thing is it seems like the hunger increases. I believe this has something to do with estrogen. But in any events it just seems like we cannot eat any junk at all. LOL.

Hmm... I don't find this to be the case for me. I am going to be 35 in a few weeks and if I don't pay attention I will usually keep losing weight. My hunger has decreased over the years and I can eat lots of junk (more than I used to at least). Mind you I am more active than I was in my 20s and early 30s, I also lift weights and I've built quite a bit of muscle which helps.
  • KKSW1981
    KKSW1981 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    That's so awesome that you don't have that problem! I too have a lot of muscle... My body is just not burning energy as it should.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking all your food on here? That can be a huge eye opener for many people, as time goes on many lose sight of portion sizes, and certain foods add up so fast (oils, nuts, condiments, etc).
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your food? I'm sure you're just eating more than you used to, judging by your comment on being hungrier.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I just turned 50 (been here since I was 45) and age/hormonal changes has effected me to very small degree.

Unconsciously I moved less, less active in general and eating more. In short, less NEAT, less activities/exercise and still eating the same. I still have the ability to move less in the winter/cold months, I have to make adjustments in my intake and keep my activities/exercise consistent.

If you track your food (weigh/log) you can definitely control all of this along with using your scale weight to make adjustments. If you think you have medical reason for why your body is not burning energy as you state, its always good to talk to your doctor.
  • LeannJeffers
    LeannJeffers Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    When I was 34 I lost 40 lbs and kept it off up until the last year, now at the age of 39 i've gained 20 lbs back!! I know the bulk of my problem is me slipping into my old eating habits and 2 years ago I gave up working with a personal trainer due to lack of money. I thought i was doing good, now I want to cry because all of my hard work is going right out the window. I can't stay away from high calorie foods.