How do you keep motivated if you don't have a scale?

Hi there! I'm looking to lose a few pounds and get back to my old weight, however I no longer have a scale. It's a lot harder to see if I'm making progress, and a lot harder to stay motivated. Any tips on how to keep on track, even when you don't know how much you are losing?

Replies

• Spiegelchan
    Spiegelchan Posts: 78 Member
    Use a measuring tape! They’re like $2 if you need to buy one. Or you could motivate yourself by what you put in rather than what you get out. Like creating a pretty tracker and colouring it in when you do your exercise or meet your calorie goal or something. Or even stickers on a paper, which actually still works to motivate me 😂
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Use a measuring tape! They’re like $2 if you need to buy one. Or you could motivate yourself by what you put in rather than what you get out. Like creating a pretty tracker and colouring it in when you do your exercise or meet your calorie goal or something. Or even stickers on a paper, which actually still works to motivate me 😂

Lol yes! I used a colored checklist, and gave myself an allowance (only money I was allowed to spend on entertainment) based on how well I did for the week.

I also recommend measuring tape. Also, think fitness over thinness. If you are working towards fitness you will see results without having to weigh yourself.
    I've lost 8 lbs and see no difference on myself because I have yet to truly dedicate to fitness (did mostly cardio to date, not much strength) to tone).
  • 7rainbow
    7rainbow Posts: 161 Member
    Thanks for the ideas! I will try keeping track of how often I meet my goal. 😊
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Both measurements and photos are excellent for evaluating progress.
  • I second the measuring tape idea: my scale hasn’t budged much in forever but I’ve lost 4 inches from my hips and one from my waist and that keeps me going!
  • lizziequek
    lizziequek Posts: 1,373 Member
    your clothes will get looser & you 'll know you've lost !
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    I personally would recommend that you get a scale.There are basic ones at Amazon for less than $20.

But if for some reason that doesn't work for you, you could find somewhere else that does have a scale: pharmacy, grocery store, doctor's office, or the gym. I've seen people weight themselves on shipping scales, if you work or have access to somewhere with a loading dock.
  • cariwaldick
    cariwaldick Posts: 189 Member
    Find a friend or relative who has a scale, and visit them every week. That will give you a regular, accurate weight. But more important, it will make that friend an accountability partner. Let them see the numbers, and ask them to check up on you if you don't come by. The scale is just a tool. Not having one can be an excuse not to make the changes you need to make. If you've only got a little to lose, you need to see an accurate weight at least once a month.
  • arkangelicus
    arkangelicus Posts: 9 Member
    Well, maybe not the best way but you could go for how the clothes fit your body. Also, the way you feel about how you are at that moment and the effort you know you gave that day/week/month/year is important.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    You could go to Goodwill and buy a scale for $5 or ask for one for Christmas or other occassion.