A late start

Options
I could have written this the first day, but I didn't. So, today is as good as it could be.

I'm 46, female, barely 5' (153cm) and I was at my highest weight (159lbs/72kg) roughly a couple of months ago.

It wasn't always like that. I was within a healthy BMI when I ended college in my early twenties, when I weighted around 50-52kg (110-115lbs). But then I started working, started eating lunch out daily, started having a sedentary life-style, and started indulging in sweets and unhealthy food way too many times. Slowly but steadily, the weight started creeping in, until...

Until my doctor put me on high BP medication a couple of months ago, and told me I'd be on them for the rest of my life if I didn't make some changes. Until the day came when I said to myself "this is the day". It was time to get my life back.

I knew a life long number of bad habits wouldn't come off overnight, but I had to start somewhere, otherwise nothing would improve. Baby steps are better than no steps at all.

On 18-11-2018 I decided to join MFP, only to discover I had registered exactly seven years and one day earlier (without ever using the site, though). I see that as my good omen for this health journey. :)

I started by reading a LOT of posts in the forums, got extremely useful information, learned a lot of important things, and found myself very impressed and inspired by the stories of many brave users. I'm very shy and very reserved, and I know I couldn't expose myself in that way (not yet, at least, maybe some day), but I'll be forever grateful to those who have that courage. Nevertheless, from that day on I started logging in my food intake. I bought a food scale, which has been extremely helpful for me.

I also decided to take exercise more seriously. I have been doing pilates for some years now, but now I also started doing a gym class once a week (I'm hoping to increase it to twice a week when I'm able to). I have always enjoyed walking, so I increased my game on that too. Before, I walked 15 minutes occasionally. In the mean time, I upped that to 30 minutes, and then to 60 minutes, and I try to do it at least 4/5 times a week.

It's been a month today. I have lost 4kg (almost 9lbs) and I can hardly believe it. I haven't dropped clothing sizes yet, but my clothes definitely feel looser. I was able to walk up a steep street that I always loathed, without gasping for air at the end. I was able to put on a pair of boots that, last winter, I couldn't zip up. My latest blood tests are way better than last year's and, even though my cholesterol numbers are still high, they're much better than last time. I couldn't remember feeling this well in many, many years.

I know there will be bad days, I know this is not a bumpless or linear journey, and I know I have a lot of work ahead of me. But just knowing I was able to do this for a month was such a victory! I can hardly put it in words.

I can do this. :)