Bulking (building Muscle )

Hi everyone,

it must of been a little while now since I posted last. I have finally decided now is the time to get 'Bulking'. The problem I am having at the minute, is I am completely lost, and really not sure how many calories I need to take in order to achieve this. quite a few different people have said I need to go on to a calorie calculator to work out how much calories I need to intake each day. is this correct? would I really hope the answer is yes, as I really cant afford a personal trainer currently.

I was looking on a macros calculator earlier on, but was asking me for my body mass formation, which I guess that will be another calculator to tell me what my body formation mass is, which I take it will entail measuring my waist etc.

if someone could help me out on here I would muchly appreciate it. I do have other questions which I do want to ask, so hope you don't mind, which I will write on another post, but think this is what I need to know first in order to go on to the next chapter of 'bulking'.

I am 5ft 10 inch

11:8 (ST)

Thank you in advance for your replies...

Ben :)

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Knowing what you have been doing up to this point would help but here's a suggestion....

Use your own logging data and weight trend not calculators.
    Even if you strike lucky and calculators spit out the right number your food and logging inaccuracy could well change the actual result significantly.

If you like maths you could add up your calorie intake over the last 4 weeks, add 3500 for every pound lost and then divide the total by 28 to get an idea of your maintenance calories corrected for logging inaccuracy. You could then add your desired surplus (250/day perhaps).

Whatever you do you will probably have to adjust based on the feedback loop of your own weight trend over time.

An option if you have been losing consistently up to this point you might decide to nail down your accurate maintenance calories first.

But on the other hand it's a great time of year to bulk. :smiley:
  • bendark1997
    bendark1997 Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks for your reply Sijomial,
    Unfortunately maths for starters isn’t my strongest thing, and secondary I have had no idea of what calories I have been intaking each day, as not wanted to build properly until now.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Thanks for your reply Sijomial,
    Unfortunately maths for starters isn’t my strongest thing, and secondary I have had no idea of what calories I have been intaking each day, as not wanted to build properly until now.

In that case I really wouldn't over think it, it's just going to be a rough start point.
    Decide if you want to follow the MyFitnessPal method of accounting for exercise and enter your weight gain goal into the set up.
    Or if you prefer the TDEE method (same calorie goal daily, don't log exercise calories separately) then go to a site like sailrabbit.com to get some estimates, add your desired surplus and manually enter that as your goal on here.

After a period of weeks you will know if you need to adjust or not.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited December 2018
    Log your calories for 3-4 days here at MFP.

Normal eating habits.

Take the average of those days and add 250 calories until your body weight starts moving up.

Monitor body weight on average and keep it in the .5-1lb range per week. When it starts to slow down, eat slightly more.

Continue to train with a hypertrophy program of your choice.

Repeat.