How to go about expiration dates?

Options
Hello ladies and gents,

I am in the process of learning how to cook 'better' food (I have zero experience in the kitchen, so the start has been kind of wonky), but what really is puzzling me, is how to keep all the food good. The thing about trying new food every day, is that certain ingredients get used less to an extent, that there is so much left when I have to throw them away.

Say, one day I want to eat a self-made wrap (buy a pack of tortilla's, corn, some chicken, lettuce), I'll probably open all the cans/ cut ingredients for the wrap, but I'll have so much of those ingredients left. I have this paranoia that if I leave the food opened, it'll be rotten by tomorrow. How do you deal with that? Do you look up other foods with the same ingredients, have some super-storage trick, actually throw the food away, or what?

Replies

• paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Most food lasts much longer than the dates on the packaging, you have to learn to trust your sense of smell and how it looks. Tortilla wraps can be frozen, they defrost really quick when you want to use them. Things like corn can be kept in a container in the fridge for a few days. I try to plan my meals to use up ingredients like salad which go off quicker.
  • Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    Also, what is important is to preserve the food correctly. I would invest is cello wrap and/or containers that close right.
    It's a part time job almost to cook for yourself or your family, thinking ahead of your leftovers and what you can do with them so that you stay on budget.
    Freezing is also great for conservation, and you can freeze in handy one person portion. Enter your own recipes in MFP and voilà! Logging your food is super easy.
    But really, except for meat ( don't take chances with meat!) you can pretty much assume it's still good if it doesn't smell or look funny.

And also, good for you for trying new recipes and making dishes yourself, it is the best way to eat healthy, nutritious foods because you can cook whole grains, fresh veggies and use very little fat!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    This chart has how to store, where to store, and how long to store just about everything.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/FreezerChart.htm

This should help you out a lot if you're just getting started.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are storing food properly, in storage containers or in freezer/fridge baggies. If you know you are going to take a while to eat a particular food, maybe freeze half of it and leave half in the fridge? If you have cooked a meal, I would keep it in the fridge up to 5 days unless the package states otherwise. You could also try cooking smaller portions. Most meat you can freeze for up to a year as long has you put it in right after you get it home from the store. I always freeze my meat or fish unless I am cooking it within the next 2 days.
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    This chart has how to store, where to store, and how long to store just about everything.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/FreezerChart.htm

This should help you out a lot if you're just getting started.
    Good info. Thanks for posting!
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I've heard a good idea is to plan your meals a week in advance, then just buy what you need. Once an item is handled (opened, chopped, cooked, etc.) I'd suggest >5 days in the fridge or freeze.

Tomatoes on the counter.
    Bananas in the fridge.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    If it smells fine, and taste fine then I eat it regardless of what the expiration says. I also have no problem eating leftovers, 7 days is my limit It goes in the trash after that.
  • AZ_Danny
    AZ_Danny Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If it smells fine, and taste fine then I eat it regardless of what the expiration says. I also have no problem eating leftovers, 7 days is my limit It goes in the trash after that.

that's basically how I feel. Though I rarely can remember how long anything has been in the fridge so I rely mainly on smell and appearance.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I cook for 1 and it can be hard to do. I love soups and stews, but all of my recipes are for 4+ servings so I need to be sure I have time to eat the leftovers. I will keep leftovers that have been properly stored for about 5 days. That is what I feel comfortable with.

My one tip is to plan your meals for the week. That way you can make sure to plan to use what you already have or use up what you have to buy. Using corn in a wrap? Then use the rest in a soup or as a side to something else. Have steak that is more then 1 serving? Eat a serving one night with a baked potato and roasted squash and then make steak hash with eggs another night or for breakfast. See what I mean?