Seeing a registered dietician?

Options
I’ve been struggling with some obsessive thoughts around food/exercise (currently eating 1200 calories a day, working out 3-4 times a week). I’ve decided it’s time to see a dietician to help me because I’m just struggling and my weight loss has stalled out which I’m not happy about. I understand they’re the expert but I’m so worried she’ll have me on a plan I actually gain on. I feel like my body needs a serious deficit to lose (even under 1200, seeing as I’m stalled out). I’m just wary about trusting her. Or it might be the whole “trust your body, eat when you’re hungry, stop when you’re full” thing and not even a real meal plan which is what got me in this mess to begin with. It’s just so hard for me to find a middle ground. Has anyone sought the help of a registered dietician, and were they helpful? I’m having a hard time with it but I’ve been pretty miserable lately and so think I need some help. I just feel like I can’t trust anyone anymore, especially my own body which is a really sad and lonely feeling. All my progress and goals are being hindered by me feeling inadequate and like I need to do so much more to never be fat again.

Replies

• Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Do you need to lose weight, what are your stats and goals?
    How accurately to you track food and how long have you been on a diet for?
    Don’t hate on yourself, life’s too short x
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    You absolutely need to see a dietitian who has a background in eating disorders.

Agreed.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed to eat back at pleast a portion of your workout calories - at your height/weight - 1200cal is less than your BMR (what your body would burn if in a coma)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    here is a rough estimate: https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&age=30&g=female&lbs=160&in=66&act=1.55&bf=&f=1

maintenance - 2267cal
    to lose a lb a week - 1700ish cal

This. Deficit should come off your TDEE, not your BMR. BMR is what you would burn in a coma. And with 20-25 lbs to lose, you should be aiming for no more than 1 lb per week, or a 500 cal deficit. 2 lbs per week is only realistic and advisable for obese folks.