Has anyone successfully lost weight this way?

Options
Has anyone managed to lose weight just through weight lifting? I am SICK to death of cardio having done it for the last 2 years through my weight loss journey.

I’ve lost around 120lbs but because the idea of doing cardio is killing my spirit, the weight is slowing creeping up and I don’t want to go back to what I was before I started.

I only have around 30lbs left to lose but can’t hack the idea of doing much more cardio! Thanks in advance.

Replies

• xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting preserves muscle mass whilst dieting so yes you can definitely lose weight doing zero cardio. Of course make sure your diet is in check!
  • SVZee
    SVZee Posts: 76 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Exercise is secondary for weight loss behind food intake. If you eat less calories than your body burns, you will lose weight. Any exercise at all is not necessary, although it can be beneficial. So you are fine just doing weight lifting, as long as you incorporate diet along with it.

This.

OP, you don't have to do any exercise at all in order to lose weight, you just need to be eating at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals. I lost 50ish pounds without any exercise at all, I just reduced my calories intake.

If you're sick of doing cardio then there's no reason to keep doing it, focus on how many calories your eating and experiment with other types of exercise that interests to you :)
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Weightlifting is a great way to lose weight and tone up. I would certainly aim for the 10-12 rep range for each set if you want weight loss. More then 12 reps and your aiming for endurance, but your not able to move as much weight.
    Weightlifting must be accompanied with 10-15 minutes of cardio at the end of the session to burn extra calories and increase the heart rate.
    In my own opinion I would recommend long distance running for the best results if weight loss is your ultimate goal. Personally I do intervals and do 5 minute warm up, stretch, then begin my intervals. Intervals consists of running fast 1min, slow 30sec, fast 2min, slow 1min, fast 3min, slow 1min30sec, fast 4min, slow 2min, fast 5min, slow 2min30sec, fast 4min, slow 2min, fast 3min, slow 1min 30sec, fast 2min, slow 1min, fast 1min, stretch and a 5min warm down.
    I can guarantee results with these type of sessions.

Rep range should be based on the type of program the OP wants to run. And, no, there is no reason to accompany lifting with cardio. It's great to do both but no reason one has to be tied to the other and many of us prefer them on different days. Food intake with be the biggest factor of weight loss and this site already has the calorie deficit built in so there is no reason to boost calorie burn beyond whatever activity the OP is doing for health.

Yes, OP, I lost 25 pounds by eating within my calories and I followed a progressive lifting program for muscle retention and body composition. It work wonderfully.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is accomplished through a calorie deficit. This is great news because you don't have to do any exercise you don't want to!