What did you want to be when you grew up?

Mr_Healthy_Habits
Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
What wild plans for life did you have for the future as a kid...

Replies

• Mr_Healthy_Habits
    I really wanted to be a Mad Scientist...

I had the kit and everything!
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    when i was real young i wanted to have my own island with dinosaurs (jurassic park obvi).
    then i wanted to be a writer.
  • Pour_Decisions
    Pour_Decisions Posts: 1,053 Member
    When I was a kid I wanted to be a grown up. Now, not so much.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    A cartoonist when I was pretty young, I had a cartoon designed and everything. Then a veterinarian for a long time until I realized in college it was the most underappreciated, highly educated profession you could have. I didn't have enough personal drive and desire to save all the animals needed to outweigh the cost of education vs salary and all the crap animal owners I would have to deal with for the rest of my life. I totally respect the people who stuck with it and try to be super appreciative towards my veterinarians and techs!
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    I also wanted to be a ninja assassin 🤷🏽‍♂️
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    I wanted to be a space pirate. Turns out, there's not much demand for that line of work so I ended up going into aerospace engineering instead.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    I wanted to be a veterinarian but quickly realized I was much too squeamish to do anything medical. Then I wanted to be a writer, but a novelist not a journalist because journalists have to start out writing about whatever they're assigned to do, and being a novelist isn't exactly a steady income unless you're very, very lucky.

I did an aptitude test in high school that said I should write science textbooks. That sounded really boring to my teenage self so I went with the second recommendation.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    i04ic34eoiwq.jpg

my coworker has this on his desk
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    An astronaut dentist belly dancer. I was not one to compromise on what was achievable simultaneously.

I don't wanna be a dentist anymore...
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    SabAteNine wrote: »
    An astronaut dentist belly dancer. I was not one to compromise on what was achievable simultaneously.

so, pics of you at work?
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    I changed my mind several times as a kid. I wanted to be a doctor, an engineer, a teacher, a marine biologist, a psychologist, a professional saxophone player, a physical therapist, an exercise physiologist. At one point I said I was going to major in business but didn't have any actual plan for what to do with that.
    I am not any of those things now. I am married to an engineer though and his job is definitely not as fun and interesting as kid me thought it would be so that one probably wasn't a good fit for me anyway.
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    SabAteNine wrote: »

so, pics of you at work?

It's just wishful thinking at the moment, I'm hoping my actual current work will provide enough for a deluxe cryonics package so that when the time comes I can just put myself on hold until the Space Cadet Academy becomes a thing.
    Fingers crossed they'll have a belly dancing optional!
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    i04ic34eoiwq.jpg

That's bad *kitten* awesome
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    An avian vet

An ornithologist

Now, I do human medicine.
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    A model and a lawyer. Like simultaneously. I was a weird child. Then a writer, which I did end up becoming, but different than what I thought.
  • Taz6o5
    Taz6o5 Posts: 3,441 Member
    I'm been thinking a lot about wanting to get into the fields of being a " Emergency medical technician "
    (EMT), paramedic and ambulance driver .