Is this a Plateau? If so how do I break it.

Options
I have been stuck at the same weight or 3-6 oz more since the week before Thanksgiving. It’s been 4 weeks with zero loss. I also took my measurements today and very little has changed. My question is “am I in a Plateau, if so how on earth do I break it”?
Just today I increased my cal intake since I have been at 1200 for quite some time now. I only have 15lbs left to loose so I’m aware it will go slower. I was just hoping it would not be this slow. PS I’m 5 3” and 142lbs.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale, and weigh and log all your food, no skipping, cheating or forgetting? If no, start there.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1
  • alitude01
    alitude01 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I always use a food scale. The thing lives on my counter top. I have also only eaten out about 4 times in the past 6 weeks. I’m trying to be super diligent about my food and drinks. I’m kinda worried my body is getting use to my low calorie intake and that’s one reason I’m having an issue.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    alitude01 wrote: »
    I always use a food scale. The thing lives on my counter top. I have also only eaten out about 4 times in the past 6 weeks. I’m trying to be super diligent about my food and drinks. I’m kinda worried my body is getting use to my low calorie intake and that’s one reason I’m having an issue.

That's not exactly how it works, but there can be an element of adaptive thermogenesis. Eat less = less energy = move less = depressed TDEE. How long have you been eating in a deficit? Have you read the thread about diet breaks?
  • alitude01
    alitude01 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Today is day 98. I have ok energy and I sleep really well if I work out that day. I need to find that thread. I’m down 15.6lbs in 98 days at eating 1200 cal a day.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    alitude01 wrote: »
    Today is day 98. I have ok energy and I sleep really well if I work out that day. I need to find that thread. I’m down 15.6lbs in 98 days at eating 1200 cal a day.

Your rate of loss looks ok. It just comes down to 'no room for error' sometimes.

Here's the thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1 Don't let the 200+ pages discourage you. Really great info in the first few is all you need to know.
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    You’re losing over a lb a week. Amazing. Follow your trend, keep your logging right, keep calm and carry on :)
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling your calorie intake goal may be a little low. I don't know how old you are, but if you're a 65 year old lady who is sedentary, your goal (which should be .5 pound per week with so little to lose) your calorie goal would be about 1225. If you were 35 and sedentary the goal for.5 pound per week is about 1390. You mention exercising so even if you are sedentary, there are exercise calories. You may want to plug your numbers into MFP and have it calculate for .5 pound loss and see what it gives you.

That being said, you've done amazingly well. You're actually right on track and I second the weight trending app. You've averaged about 1.11 pounds per week. Since you do have so little to lose, diet breaks are going to be closer together for you then someone who has a lot to lose.

My suggestion would be the take a diet break for a week or two where you eat at maintenance. Be prepared for a jump on the scale but know that it's not necessarily permanent (extra carbs and extra sodium means more water retention.). Get a weight trending app like Libra for Android or Happy Scale for iPhone so that when you aren't seeing much change you can see that the tend is downwards. Once you go off of maintenance, shoot for half a pound per week and start with eating half your exercise calories. You say you're meticulous with the scale so that's definitely a plus. After 4-6 weeks, see what your tend is and maybe adjust how many of your exercise calories you're eating.

Again, you're doing amazing so far. Your body may just need a break or a minute to "catch up."