Need suggestions for vegetarian lunches - no microwave or fridge

Options
I travel all day to and from various locations for work. I need some lunch ideas that are vegetarian that do not need to be refrigerated or microwaved. I have a decent insulated lunch box I just bought, so I can keep things cold for a short time.

Here is what I've already packed:
peanut butter sandwich
salad
egg burrito
hard-boiled egg and veggies

I need some ideas and inspiration. Thanks!

Replies

• jerseygirl227
    jerseygirl227 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    By the way, I sure do wish I still looked like I did in my profile photo, lol. That was 12 years and 30 pounds ago.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Egg salad sandwiches are really good and last for me.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    you can buy a portable heating device - could you take that with you - you just need a power outlet - https://www.amazon.com/HotLogic-Mini-Personal-Portable-Oven/dp/B00EC7XJ28
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Falafel sandwiches. I make mine with guac, red peppers and tomato.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,724 Member
    Options
    The insulated bowls with tight lid work well for hit foods, such as legume soups of all sorts, chickpea pasta mac'n'cheese (mix in some pureed or mashed Winter squash and Greek yogurt), tempeh chili, etc. Heat the howl by pouring in hot water, letting sit briefly, then dump that and put in your food.

A lunchbox soft insulated cooler with a reusable blue ice thingie will keep things cold, too. Try a cold sweet potato salad with buckwheat noodles and almond butter, chickpea pasta salad with veggies and cheese cubes, Ezekiel tortilla roll-ups with ricotta or cream cheese, or refried beans, for adhesion, and whatever veggies or add-ins you like.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Veggie wraps - my fav is avocado, salad greens, pine nut hummus, tomato with a small drizzle of balsamic vinegarette (keep separate until ready to eat:)).

Pretty much any leftovers if you get an insulated bag as AnnPT77 suggested with the reusable ice bag you freeze.
  • Ducks47
    Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Maybe some couscous with herbs like coriander or parsley, olive oil, garlic, cumin, almond slices, and if you’d like some raisins?
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Salads and veggie wraps will usually teacher well in insulated coolers. Shakshuka is one of my favorite vegetarian dishes and while it's usually eaten hot, it's also good cold. If you're going to have it cold, you may want to make sure the egg yolks are cooked through though.
  • monicaamy0902
    monicaamy0902 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have heated up burritos/wraps, wrapped them in tinfoil and put them in an insulated bag. They will stay hot/warm for hours.
  • jerseygirl227
    jerseygirl227 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions! Thanks, everyone!
  • sarasmiles124
    sarasmiles124 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Quinoa salads are something I take a lot. Or daals and quinoa can be eaten room temperature.