Foods to avoid at certain times of the day

Hello! I'm new here and I recently changed my diet again and lost about 20 pounds now. I look for ingredients that have 8g of Sugar or less, and I've been pretty good at checking labels.
But I was wondering what foods are okay at certain times of the day? For example someone told me to only eat bananas in the morning or not to have starches like potatoes at dinner time. I also know that having meat and vegetables for dinner is best. I would love to have suggestions on what is recommended or even a website that is accurate. Thank you!

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    I agree with the other posters. I would add that the most important thing is to have a sufficient quantity of the nutrients necessary to keep you full until your next meal. For many people that is fat or protein. For instance, eating mainly carbs for breakfast doesn't keep me full and I need a morning snack. Breakfasts higher in fat and protein content make it easier for me to wait until lunch to eat again. Find what works for you to help you stay in your calorie goal and not feel like you are starving.
  • ashleyahe
    ashleyahe Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you! :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    ashleyahe wrote: »
    Hello! I'm new here and I recently changed my diet again and lost about 20 pounds now. I look for ingredients that have 8g of Sugar or less, and I've been pretty good at checking labels.
    But I was wondering what foods are okay at certain times of the day? For example someone told me to only eat bananas in the morning or not to have starches like potatoes at dinner time. I also know that having meat and vegetables for dinner is best. I would love to have suggestions on what is recommended or even a website that is accurate. Thank you!

This sounds like the "Fit for Life" food combining fad from the 80s and 90s which is nonsense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fit_for_Life#Scientific_reception

Scientific reception

Health experts and science writers have dismissed the book as quackery.[8][9][10]
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    The only reason to eat or avoid certain foods based on time of day is personal preference. I don't like eating late at night because it impacts my sleep quality... but it has nothing to do with my ability to gain/maintain/lose weight.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Don’t eat beans at night, or else your spouse might suffer 😂

Is that why I get that death glare.....
  • Sambo_fitness
    Sambo_fitness Posts: 137 Member
    Definitely don't eat breakfast for dinner!.... Just kidding.

All myths! There are tons of studies out there that will tell you what you want to hear. Ultimately, our bodies respond differently. Do what works for you.
  • NvrGivUpM8
    NvrGivUpM8 Posts: 78 Member
    Eat whatever you like that is healthy whenever you like. Remember portion control is the big one. Eat slowly so you brain has time to work out that you belly is getting full. Often we eat too fast and over eat....my biggest problem lol

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    I would stop listening to anyone who suggested that certain foods are bad at certain times of the day. Well first I would ask where they got their info from so I could make sure to never visit that website again...
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    ashleyahe wrote: »

Why did this person say not to eat those foods at those times? What are their sources?
    Have you had some kind of ill effects ever from when you eat a banana or potato that would make you think that was a legitmate thing?

It does not matter for nutrition or weight loss when you eat particular foods.

If you have a medical condition that requires a special diet or changing how you consume particular foods then you should talk to your doctor and/or a registered dietician for guidance.

• AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    I mainly avoid caffeine after mid day so that I can sleep well.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    I mainly avoid caffeine after mid day so that I can sleep well.

Good point. I limit caffeine to mid day as well, and stop drinking (decaf) tea at dinner lest my tiny bladder wake me up.